Rangers pound Angels in rubber matchApr 25, 2013 - 6:22 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Nelson Cruz hit a three-run home run in a nine- run fourth inning and Yu Darvish struck out 11 in his outing as the Texas Rangers thumped the LA Angels of Anaheim, 11-3, to wrap up a three-game series.
Lance Berkman hit a two-run home run and drove in four while Ian Kinsler, A.J. Pierzynski and David Murphy each drove in a run for the Rangers, who have won five of six.
Darvish (4-1) was strong over his six scoreless innings of work as he gave up just three hits and two walks to improve to 5-1 against the Angels in his career.
"Another tremendous performance, he had a combination of everything," said Rangers manager Ron Washington. "We started getting base hits tonight and Cruz got the big hit. We're playing good baseball."
Peter Bourjos and J.B. Shuck drove in a run each for the Angels, who had won four of five coming into the contest. Michael Roth (1-1) suffered the loss in his first career start as he was tagged for five runs on six hits in just 3 1/3 innings.
Texas got its big fourth inning started with a walk by Adrian Beltre and Cruz followed with a single. Pierzynski singled home the first run, Chris Gentry walked to load the bases and Murphy drove in another run. Roth then struck out Mitch Moreland, and David Carpenter then took over on the mound.
After walking Kinsler to bring home Pierzynski, Elvis Andrus struck out, but Berkman stroked a single to center for two more runs. The Rangers loaded the bases yet again when Beltre worked his second walk of the inning and a wild pitch scored Kinsler. Cruz then smacked the ball over the center field wall for a 9-0 lead.
Berkman hit a two-run home run in the sixth for an 11-0 advantage.
Darvish, meanwhile, had little trouble from the Angels as he didn't allow a runner past first base and struck out the side in the fifth.
"He threw a lot of fastballs, he was really on," said Angels second baseman Howie Kendrick. "Give him credit, the guy goes out there and gets outs."
In the eighth, Bourjos singled in a run, Hank Cogner brought in another when he hit into a double play, and Shuck later smacked a single to right for another run to make the game a bit more respectable.
Texas starts a four-game series in Minnesota on Thursday ... The Angels hit the road and will begin a four-game set in Seattle on Thursday ... Darvish has 49 strikeouts on the season to lead the majors ... Texas has won four of six from the Angels on the young season.
- TEXAS: 11
LOS ANGELES: 3
Apr 25 1:31 AM
- J.B. Shuck single to right scored Peter Bourjos with two out. Runner on first and Mark Trumbo due up.
Rangers 11, Angels 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 25 1:17 AM
- Hank Conger grounded into a double play, short to second to first scored Luis Jimenez with two out. Mike Trout out at second. Peter Bourjos advances to third. Runner on third and J.B. Shuck due up.
Rangers 11, Angels 2 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 25 1:11 AM
- Peter Bourjos single to center scored Chris Iannetta with none out. On the play, Luis Jimenez advances to second. Runners on first and second and Mike Trout due up.
Rangers 11, Angels 1 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 25 1:07 AM
- Lance Berkman none-out, two-run Home Run (2) to right scored Elvis Andrus. Adrian Beltre due up.
Rangers 11, Angels 0 Top 6, 0 OutsApr 25 12:21 AM
- Nelson Cruz two-out, three-run Home Run (5) to center scored Lance Berkman and Adrian Beltre. A.J. Pierzynski due up.
Rangers 9, Angels 0 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 24 11:37 PM
- Ian Kinsler scored on a David Carpenter wild pitch with two out. Runners on first and second and Nelson Cruz at the plate.
Rangers 6, Angels 0 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 24 11:36 PM
- Lance Berkman single to center scored Craig Gentry and David Murphy with two out. On the play, Ian Kinsler advances to third. Runners on first and third and Adrian Beltre due up.
Rangers 5, Angels 0 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 24 11:32 PM
- Ian Kinsler walk scored A.J. Pierzynski with one out. Bases loaded and Elvis Andrus due up.
Rangers 3, Angels 0 Top 4, 1 OutApr 24 11:27 PM
- David Murphy single to right scored Nelson Cruz with none out. On the play, Craig Gentry advances to second and A.J. Pierzynski advances to third. Bases loaded and Mitch Moreland due up.
Rangers 2, Angels 0 Top 4, 0 OutsApr 24 11:19 PM
- A.J. Pierzynski single to right scored Adrian Beltre with none out. On the play, Nelson Cruz advances to second. Runners on first and second and Craig Gentry due up.
Rangers 1, Angels 0 Top 4, 0 OutsApr 24 11:15 PM
- TEXAS: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 24 10:09 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22