Twins finally overcome RangersApr 28, 2013 - 6:38 AM Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - Josh Willingham hit a two-run homer and Aaron Hicks added two RBI to pace Minnesota's 7-2 win over Texas in the third portion of a four-game series at Target Field.
Wilkin Ramirez, Pedro Florimon and Brian Dozier each knocked in a run for the Twins, who ended a three-game losing streak.
Pedro Hernandez (1-0) tossed five innings of five-hit, scoreless ball to post his first career victory.
"He got us through the first five innings and got exactly what we wanted out of him," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said.
Mitch Moreland hit a two-run double in the ninth for the Rangers, who had won three in a row prior to Saturday.
Derek Holland (1-2) lasted seven full frames, but was charged in defeat with five hits and four runs -- three earned -- with six strikeouts.
"I'm not worried about it," Holland said of his lack of run support. "All that matters is if we win."
Minnesota cracked the scoreboard in the third. Hicks reached on a fielding error by Moreland, advanced to third on an Eduardo Escobar single and scored on Dozier's fly to center.
Dozier singled with one out in the sixth, and moved up on a wild pitch before Willingham's blast to left put the hosts up 3-0.
One frame later, Minnesota led 4-0. Oswaldo Arcia began the inning with a walk, then moved up on a Hicks groundout and went to third on an Escobar single before crossing the plate on a Florimon fielder's choice.
The Twins tacked on three more in the eighth with an RBI hit by Ramirez and two-run double from Hicks.
Texas finally awoke in the ninth against Glen Perkins, working back-to-back walks by Nelson Cruz and A.J. Pierzynski before Moreland's two-out double plated both. Perkins bore down and retired Leury Garcia on a grounder to end the game.
Hernandez lost his lone start of 2012, with the White Sox, and failed to record a decision in his first three appearances this year ... Rangers second baseman Ian Kinsler doubled twice in the defeat.
- TEXAS: 2
Apr 27 7:03 PM
- Mitch Moreland double to center scored Nelson Cruz and A.J. Pierzynski with two out. Runner on second and Leury Garcia due up.
Rangers 2, Twins 7 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 27 7:02 PM
- Aaron Hicks double to left scored Wilkin Ramirez and Oswaldo Arcia with two out. Runner on second and Eduardo Escobar due up.
Rangers 0, Twins 7 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 27 6:48 PM
- Wilkin Ramirez single to second scored Josh Willingham with two out. Runner on first and Oswaldo Arcia due up.
Rangers 0, Twins 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 27 6:43 PM
- Pedro Florimon grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Oswaldo Arcia. On the play, Eduardo Escobar out at second. Runner on first with two out and Brian Dozier due up.
Rangers 0, Twins 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 27 6:16 PM
- Josh Willingham two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to left scored Brian Dozier. Ryan Doumit due up.
Rangers 0, Twins 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 27 5:54 PM
- Brian Dozier sacrifice fly to center scored Aaron Hicks with two out. Runner on first and Joe Mauer due up.
Rangers 0, Twins 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 27 5:07 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 27 4:12 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22