Hernandez strong as M's edge AngelsApr 28, 2013 - 5:58 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Felix Hernandez pitched eight strong frames and retired the final 14 batters he faced in a 3-2 win for the Seattle Mariners over the Los Angeles Angels.
Jesus Montero hit the tying two-run homer in the sixth inning off Joe Blanton. Pinch-hitter Kendrys Morales singled in the go-ahead run in the seventh inning to give the Mariners their second victory in three games in this series, which concludes Sunday. Kyle Seager extended his career-high hitting streak to 16 games and scored the winning run.
Hernandez (3-2) allowed five hits and one earned run while walking one batter and fanning seven.
"Felix was outstanding today. He stayed in his delivery, used all of his, pitches, pitched well when he was ahead and pitched well when he was behind," Mariners manager Eric Wedge said. "It was just a great effort."
Blanton (0-4) exited after giving up nine hits and four walks over six-plus frames. He also had five strikeouts.
Chris Iannetta homered to lead off the third inning and Mike Trout lifted a sacrifice fly later in the inning for the Angels, who lost for the third time in four games.
The Angels failed to execute a squeeze bunt in the fourth and Mark Trumbo was out at the plate.
"That's a nice play. They executed it well on the defensive side," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "We [were] just a little bit off."
Seattle wasted a bases-loaded chance in the fifth, but Montero tied it an inning later by homering into the bullpen in left-center after Raul Ibanez walked to start the frame.
In the seventh, Seager and Michael Morse singled. Michael Roth then relieved Blanton and struck out Justin Smoak. Morales, though, lined a ball into left field to give the Mariners the lead.
Tom Wilhelmsen stranded a runner in scoring position to pick up his seventh save. Josh Hamilton singled and stole second with two outs. Howie Kendrick lined out to second baseman Dustin Ackley to end the game.
Peter Bourjos singled, stole second and scored on Trout's fly ball to right field. That came after Iannetta started the third with a homer to left-center.
Hernandez is 7-12 in his career against the Angels ... Seattle went 1-for-13 with men in scoring position and stranded 11 base runners ... Seager's hitting streak is the longest for the Mariners since Mike Carp's 20-game run in 2011.
- LOS ANGELES: 2
Apr 27 11:48 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Kendrys Morales single to left scored Kyle Seager with one out. On the play, Michael Morse advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jesus Montero due up.
Angels 2, Mariners 3 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 27 11:17 PM
- Jesus Montero none-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left center scored Raul Ibanez. Carlos Peguero due up.
Angels 2, Mariners 2 Bot 6, 0 OutsApr 27 10:46 PM
- Mike Trout sacrifice fly to right scored Peter Bourjos with two outs. None on and Albert Pujols due up.
Angels 2, Mariners 0 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 27 9:49 PM
- Chris Iannetta lead-off Home Run (3) to left center. Luis Jimenez due up.
Angels 1, Mariners 0 Top 3, 0 OutsApr 27 9:44 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 27 9:10 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21