Vargas goes the distance as Angels blank O'sMay 4, 2013 - 5:16 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Jason Vargas dazzled Baltimore hitters, allowing just three hits over nine scoreless innings to lead the LA Angels of Anaheim to a 4-0 win over the Orioles on Friday.
Vargas (1-3) struck out three and walked just two batters en route to his fourth career shutout.
"Jason was spectacular. What he did was not only big for our club, but it was big for our bullpen. He knows how to win," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said.
Mike Trout went 2-for-4 with a two-run homer and three RBI and Mark Trumbo added a solo shot for the Angels, who dropped the opener of this four-game set.
Miguel Gonzalez (2-2) surrendered three runs on six hits -- two homers -- while striking out five to absorb the loss. Gonzalez was forced the leave the game following the sixth inning because of a blister on his right thumb.
"Miguel had to come out the game with a blister. It is a pretty deep blister. It is part of pitching. He pitched well, but not as well as their guy did," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said.
Orioles first baseman Chris Davis left the game in the fifth inning with an apparent right knee injury. Davis was injured while trying to beat out a ground ball in the fifth inning. Replays showed that his right leg appeared to buckle as he made contact with first base.
Trumbo put the Angels on the board with a leadoff homer in the second.
Vargas finally gave up his first hit with two outs in the fifth when J.J. Hardy laced a single to right field.
Trout's two-run shot in the fifth made it 3-0. J.B. Schuck singled before Trout clobbered his fourth homer of the season over the wall in center field.
The Angels added another run in the seventh on Trout's single to left. Alberto Callaspo walked then moved to second on Shuck's bunt-single. After Erick Aybar fouled out, Trout ripped a base hit to left field to push Callaspo across.
Vargas ran into trouble in the ninth after giving up a one-out double to Nick Markakis, but was able to retire the final two batters of the game to secure the win.
Vargas threw three shutouts and had four complete games in 2011 ... The Angels are 9-6 when scoring first and 8-1 when leading after seven innings ... Baltimore has dropped four of their last six games.
- BALTIMORE: 0
LOS ANGELES: 4
May 4 12:23 AM
- Mike Trout single to left scored Alberto Callaspo with two out. On the play, Mike Trout advanced to second as J.B. Shuck advanced to third. Runners on second and third and Albert Pujols due up.
Orioles 0, Angels 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 4 12:00 AM
- Mike Trout two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to center scored J.B. Shuck. Albert Pujols due up.
Orioles 0, Angels 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 3 11:23 PM
- Mark Trumbo lead-off Home Run (7) to left. Josh Hamilton due up.
Orioles 0, Angels 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsMay 3 10:27 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 3 10:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Orioles power past Angels 9-4 on 4 homers May 21
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 21
- Angels starter Santiago ejected for gesturing to umpire May 20
- Tim Lincecum signs $2.5 million, 1-year deal with Angels May 20