Saunders, Ackley power Mariners past reeling JaysMay 4, 2013 - 10:18 PM
Saunders, a native of Victoria, British Columbia, also hit two homers in Toronto's home park on April 28 of last season and now has five along with 11 RBI in his last 10 games there dating back to Sept. 22, 2010. He added a run- scoring double and finished with three RBI in the victory.
Hisashi Iwakuma (3-1) tossed seven solid innings of one-run, five-hit ball for the Mariners, winners in six of their last seven games. Kelly Shoppach drove in one run with a double.
R.A. Dickey (2-5) suffered his third straight defeat after being tagged for seven runs and all three of Seattle's homers while striking out five over six innings. The Blue Jays, meanwhile, have lost four straight and 10 of their last 12 overall.
"We're kind of searching for a way to score runs, a way to pitch well," Dickey said. "We're doing a lot of things poorly, myself included."
Munenori Kawasaki plated the Jays' only run with a sacrifice fly.
Dickey quickly ran into some trouble, as Saunders -- the game's first batter -- deposited his 1-0 offering over the right-field wall to give the Mariners an early 1-0 lead.
Ackley expanded Seattle's lead in the fourth with his first career grand slam. With a runner on first and two down, Dickey issued consecutive walks to Raul Ibanez and Shoppach to load the bases. Ackley then made the knuckleballer pay with a shot to right-center for his first homer of the season that gave Seattle a 5-0 advantage.
With one out in the fifth, Saunders poked his second homer of the day over the right-field wall to make it 6-0. One inning later, Ibanez smacked a one-out triple in the right-center gap and scored on Shoppach's double to left.
Kawasaki finally put the Jays on the board with a sacrifice fly to center in the seventh that scored Rajai Davis.
Saunders rounded out the scoring -- and his stellar afternoon -- with a RBI double in the ninth that plated Robert Andino.
"He just brings a lot of energy and intensity to the top of our lineup," Seattle manager Eric Wedge said of Saunders.
Toronto fell to 6-12 at home this season ... Dickey had only given up one grand slam in his career, which came to the Blue Jays' Kevin Millar in 2009 while then with Minnesota. The righty already has three losses at home this season after dropping a total of three home starts for the Mets last year ... Saunders had the fourth multi-homer game of his career ... Iwakuma had received just one run of support from the Mariners in his previous three starts.
- SEATTLE: 8
May 4 3:38 PM
- Michael Saunders doubled to center scoring Robert Andino. Runner on second with two outs and Kyle Seager due up.
Mariners 8, Blue Jays 1 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 4 3:24 PM
- Munenori Kawasaki sacrifice fly out to center scored Rajai Davis. Runner on second with two outs and Brett Lawrie due up.
Mariners 7, Blue Jays 1 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 4 3:00 PM
- Kelly Shoppach doubled to left scored Raul Ibanez. Runner on second with one out and Dustin Ackley due up.
Mariners 7, Blue Jays 0 Top 6, 1 OutMay 4 2:37 PM
- Michael Saunders one-out, solo Home Run 2 (4) to right. Kyle Seager due up.
Mariners 6, Blue Jays 0 Top 5, 1 OutMay 4 2:26 PM
- Dustin Ackley two-out, Grand Slam (1) to right center scored Kendrys Morales, Raul Ibanez and Kelly Shoppach. Endy Chavez due up.
Mariners 5, Blue Jays 0 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 4 2:14 PM
- Michael Saunders lead-off Home Run (3) to right. Kyle Seager due up.
Mariners 1, Blue Jays 0 Top 1, 0 OutsMay 4 1:09 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 4 1:08 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21