Twins strike late to overcome Red SoxMay 8, 2013 - 6:30 AM
Joe Mauer added two hits and an RBI, with Justin Morneau, Trevor Plouffe and Wilkin Ramirez driving in a run each for the Twins, who dropped a 6-5 decision in 11 innings in Monday's opener and won for the third time in their last eight.
Scott Diamond (3-2) worked seven scoreless innings, giving up three hits and striking out two without issuing a walk.
"I was able to work down for the most part and keep guys back off the plate so I could expand (the zone) away," Diamond said.
Jarrod Saltalamacchia's ninth-inning homer stood as the lone offense for the Red Sox, who have lost four of their last five.
Ryan Dempster (2-3) allowed five hits and four runs -- two earned -- with eight strikeouts over his seven-plus frames.
"Very good outing by Ryan Dempster," Red Sox manager John Farrell said of his starter. "Unfortunately not much to show for it on our end."
The Twins broke open a two-run game in their second-to-last turn at the plate.
Sox shortstop Pedro Ciriaco couldn't corral a Brian Dozier grounder, then failed to grab one from Jamey Carroll, and after Dempster was spelled by Craig Breslow, Mauer followed with an RBI double. Josh Willingham walked to load the bases, and Morneau plated Carroll with a single. Plouffe added another RBI hit and Alex Wilson came on, and when Willingham was out at home on Doumit's fielders' choice grounder, Saltalamacchia's wild throw allowed Morneau to cross the plate.
Boston's backstop greeted Josh Roenick with a leadoff shot to left, but that was all the hosts had in the tank.
Doumit began the fifth with a double, moved up on a Dempster balk, then scored on a Ramirez single.
It was 2-0 in the seventh on Doumit's one-out solo homer.
Red Sox DH David Ortiz extended his career-best hitting streak to 27 straight games dating back to July 2, 2012, thanks to a 1-for-4 performance ... It is the longest active streak in the majors and the longest hit streak by a BoSox player since Manny Ramirez also hit safely in 27 straight from July 15-Aug. 12, 2006 ... Prior to the game, the Sox placed closer Joel Hanrahan on the 15- day DL and recalled pitcher Allen Webster from Triple-A Pawtucket.
- MINNESOTA: 6
May 7 10:12 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia lead-off Home Run (4) to left. Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Twins 6, Red Sox 1 Bot 9, 0 OutsMay 7 10:06 PM
- Ryan Doumit grounded into a fielder's choice first to catcher. On the play, Josh Willingham out at home. Justin Morneau scored on Jarrod Saltalamacchia's throwing error with one out. Trevor Plouffe advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Chris Parmelee due up.
Twins 6, Red Sox 0 Top 8, 1 OutMay 7 9:47 PM
- Trevor Plouffe singled to left scoring Joe Mauer with none out. On the play, Justin Morneau advances to second and Josh Willingham advances to third. Bases loaded and Ryan Doumit due up.
Twins 5, Red Sox 0 Top 8, 0 OutsMay 7 9:39 PM
- Justin Morneau singled to right scoring Jamey Carroll with none out. On the play, Josh Willingham advances to second and Joe Mauer advances to third. Bases loaded and Trevor Plouffe due up.
Twins 4, Red Sox 0 Top 8, 0 OutsMay 7 9:39 PM
- Joe Mauer doubled to left scoring Brian Dozier with none out. On the play, Jamey Carroll advances to third. Runners on second and third and Josh Willingham due up.
Twins 3, Red Sox 0 Top 8, 0 OutsMay 7 9:33 PM
- Ryan Doumit one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left center. Chris Parmelee due up.
Twins 2, Red Sox 0 Top 7, 1 OutMay 7 9:13 PM
- Wilkin Ramirez singled to center scoring Ryan Doumit with one out. Runner on first and Brian Dozier due up.
Twins 1, Red Sox 0 Top 5, 1 OutMay 7 8:35 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 7 7:10 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21