Indians eyeing sweep after another win vs. A'sMay 9, 2013 - 4:15 AM
Michael Brantley drove in one run and Lonnie Chisenhall scored on a throwing error for the Indians, who have won the first three in this four-game series.
Cleveland starter Justin Masterson (5-2) fanned seven and gave up three runs on four hits and two walks over seven frames. Chris Perez nearly allowed a game-tying home run in the ninth but was able to notch his fifth save.
"For me, the entire key for everything that's been going for us lately has been our starting pitching," said Swisher. "These guys have done such a tremendous job. They deserve all the credit."
Daric Barton, who was called up from Triple-A Sacramento prior to the game, drove in two runs and Brandon Moss had an RBI for the Athletics. Starter A.J. Griffin (3-3) surrendered four runs -- three earned -- on six hits and two walks in 6 2/3 innings.
Brandon Moss got the Athletics on the board in the fourth, with a one-out single that scored Seth Smith. Three batters later, Barton hit a liner to center, plating Yoenis Cespedes and Moss.
Griffin walked Santana and Ryan Raburn to start the fifth. Chisenhall grounded towards Griffin, but both him and Adam Rosales had difficulty grabbing the ball, resulting in an infield single, and the bases were loaded. Drew Stubbs hit a grounder towards third but Santana was forced out at the plate before he could even slide. Rosales had an opportunity to end the inning on a double- play, getting Stubbs out at second, but he overthrew it to Barton, allowing Chisenhall to run home.
Swisher's homer tied the game in the sixth. Two batters later, Santana's solo shot gave the Indians the lead.
With two outs in the ninth, Rosales smashed a shot off Perez that hit the yellow stripe on the left field wall, but it was ruled a double. Officials reviewed the play and agreed, angering Athletics manager Bob Melvin and he was ejected from the game.
"Homer's a homer, even if it's an inch, and that was clearly further than that," said Melvin. "If it hit the pad, it would have just hit the pad and come down softly. Clearly, there was a ricochet."
Eric Sogard was hit by a pitch and John Jaso drew a walk to load the bases, but Smith's grounder towards Perez ended the game.
Oakland outfielder Josh Reddick was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a sprained right wrist ... Moss has 20 RBI ... Masterson entered the game 1-5 with a 10.36 ERA starting against Oakland ... The Indians are 7-3 in one-run games. They are 103-83 since 2009, fourth-best in the majors.
- OAKLAND: 3
May 8 9:32 PM
- Carlos Santana two-out, solo Home Run (7) to center. Ryan Raburn due up.
Athletics 3, Indians 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 8 8:40 PM
- Nick Swisher one-out, solo Home Run (4) to right center. Mark Reynolds due up.
Athletics 3, Indians 3 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 8 8:37 PM
- Michael Brantley grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scoring Ryan Raburn. Drew Stubbs out at second Lonnie Chisenhall scored on Adam Rosales's throwing error. Runner on first with two outs and Jason Kipnis due up.
Athletics 3, Indians 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 8 8:27 PM
- Daric Barton singled to center scoring Yoenis Cespedes and Brandon Moss. Runner on first with two outs and Adam Rosales due up.
Athletics 3, Indians 0 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 8 8:00 PM
- Brandon Moss singled to right scoring Seth Smith. On the play, Yoenis Cespedes advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Josh Donaldson due up.
Athletics 1, Indians 0 Top 4, 1 OutMay 8 7:56 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 8 7:06 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21