Twins pound Red SoxMay 9, 2013 - 7:24 AM
Plouffe had three hits and also scored two runs and Florimon homered and doubled. Ryan Doumit added three hits, including a two-run homer, and scored three runs and Joe Mauer had a pair of doubles and scored three times for the Twins, winners in three of their last four.
"So many guys up and down the lineup hit the ball," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. "Florimon had a really good night, and Mauer and a whole of bunch of other guys obviously with that many runs. So it was a good win for us."
Ryan Pressly (1-0) earned his first career win after tossing four scoreless innings of relief. Starter Pedro Hernandez gave up six runs on seven hits over just two innings of work.
Jonny Gomes went 1-for-4 with a grand slam and five RBI and Shane Victorino added a pair of hits, including a solo homer, for the Red Sox, who have dropped five of their last six games.
Allen Webster (0-1) started in place of left-hander Felix Doubront, who was moved to Boston's depleted bullpen. Webster was hammered for eight runs on six hits in just 1 2/3 innings.
"A tough night from the mound tonight. A number of pitches found their way to the middle of the plate," Red Sox manager John Farrell said. "They swung aggressively, they hit a number of fastballs that didn't get to the intended location."
David Ortiz's 27-game hitting streak came to an end after he went 0-for-5.
The fireworks started immediately with the Twins plating four runs in the first. With runners on first and second, Morneau smacked a ground-rule double to right field to score Mauer. Plouffe followed with a sacrifice fly to push Josh Willingham across, and Doumit's two-run shot gave the Twins a 4-0 edge.
Minnesota's lead would be short-lived, though, as the Red Sox scored five runs in the home half. After Mike Napoli drew a two-out walk to load the bases, Gomes clobbered a grand slam over the Green Monster. Jarrod Saltalamacchia followed with a double then scored on a Stephen Drew base hit to right field.
The Twins continued to pour it on in the second, pushing seven runs across to take an 11-5 lead. Florimon led off with a homer. After Jamey Carroll walked and Mauer doubled to put runners on second and third, Morneau lifted a sacrifice fly to center to score Carroll. Plouffe followed with an RBI double, and Aaron Hicks added a two-run single later in the frame. Florimon's two-run double capped the scoring for the inning.
Victorino's solo blast in the third made it 11-6, but the Twins scored another run in the fourth on Florimon's groundout.
Minnesota added two more in the fifth inning. Plouffe singled home Mauer then scored on an Oswaldo Arcia double to center field.
Gomes and Daniel Nava added a sacrifice fly in the seventh and eighth innings, respectively, to make it 14-8. Morneau's sacrifice fly in the ninth accounted for the final difference.
Minnesota went 9-for-18 with runners in scoring position ... Arcia went 4- for-5 ... The Twins out hit the Red Sox 20-12 ... Earlier on Wednesday, Boston named Junichi Tazawa the team's closer, with relievers Joel Hanrahan and Andrew Bailey on the disabled list. Hanrahan was put on the 15-day disabled list with a right forearm strain.
- MINNESOTA: 15
May 8 10:56 PM
- Justin Morneau sacrifice fly to center scored Jamey Carroll with one out. On the play, Joe Mauer advances to third. Runners on first and third and Trevor Plouffe due up.
Twins 15, Red Sox 8 Top 9, 1 OutMay 8 10:43 PM
- Daniel Nava sacrifice fly to center scored Stephen Drew with two out. Runner on first and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Twins 14, Red Sox 8 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 8 10:35 PM
- Jonny Gomes sacrifice fly to left scored Dustin Pedroia with two out. Runner on first and Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
Twins 14, Red Sox 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 8 10:16 PM
- Oswaldo Arcia double to center scored Trevor Plouffe with two out. On the play, Ryan Doumit advances to third. Runners on second and third and Aaron Hicks due up.
Twins 14, Red Sox 6 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 8 9:27 PM
- Trevor Plouffe single to left scored Joe Mauer with two out. Runner on first and Ryan Doumit due up.
Twins 13, Red Sox 6 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 8 9:24 PM
- Pedro Florimon grounded into a double play, second to short to first scored Ryan Doumit with two out. Aaron Hicks out at second. Oswaldo Arcia advances to third. Runner on third and Jamey Carroll due up.
Twins 12, Red Sox 6 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 8 8:57 PM
- Shane Victorino two-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Dustin Pedroia due up.
Twins 11, Red Sox 6 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 8 8:23 PM
- Pedro Florimon double to center scored Oswaldo Arcia and Aaron Hicks with two out. Runner on second and Jamey Carroll due up.
Twins 11, Red Sox 5 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 8 8:14 PM
- Aaron Hicks single to center scored Trevor Plouffe and Ryan Doumit with two out. On the play, Oswaldo Arcia advances to second. Runners on first and second and Pedro Florimon due up.
Twins 9, Red Sox 5 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 8 8:11 PM
- Trevor Plouffe double to left scored Joe Mauer with two out. Runner on second and Ryan Doumit due up.
Twins 7, Red Sox 5 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 8 8:03 PM
- Justin Morneau sacrifice fly to center scored Jamey Carroll with two out. On the play, Joe Mauer advances to third. Runner on third and Trevor Plouffe due up.
Twins 6, Red Sox 5 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 8 7:59 PM
- Pedro Florimon lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Jamey Carroll due up.
Twins 5, Red Sox 5 Top 2, 0 OutsMay 8 7:52 PM
- Stephen Drew single to right scored Jarrod Saltalamacchia with two out. On the play, Stephen Drew was thrown out at second, right to short to end the inning.
Twins 4, Red Sox 5 End 1May 8 7:50 PM
- Jonny Gomes two-out, Grand Slam (2) to left scored Shane Victorino, Dustin Pedroia and Mike Napoli. Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
Twins 4, Red Sox 4 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 8 7:44 PM
- Ryan Doumit two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to right scored Justin Morneau. Oswaldo Arcia due up.
Twins 4, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 8 7:21 PM
- Trevor Plouffe sacrifice fly to center scored Josh Willingham with two out. On the play, Justin Morneau advances to third. Runner on third and Ryan Doumit due up.
Twins 2, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 8 7:20 PM
- Justin Morneau ground-rule double to right scored Joe Mauer with one out. On the play, Josh Willingham advances to third. Runners on second and third and Trevor Plouffe due up.
Twins 1, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 8 7:19 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 8 7:15 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21