Indians crush A's, complete four-game sweepMay 9, 2013 - 9:49 PM
The two teams were back in action less than 24 hours after Wednesday night's controversial call in the ninth inning.
With Oakland trailing by a run with two outs in the ninth, the Athletics' Adam Rosales appeared to tie the game with a home run off closer Chris Perez. The play was ruled a double on the field and upheld after a video review, despite replays that appeared to show the ball clearing the wall and hitting a railing in left-center before caroming back onto the field.
Major League Baseball admitted that "an improper call" was made in a statement released Thursday. However, the Indians' 4-3 victory on Wednesday held up.
On Thursday, Mark Reynolds, Jason Kipnis and Nick Swisher each homered for the Indians, who completed a four-game sweep of the A's.
Scott Kazmir (2-1) allowed one run on five hits while striking out 10 over six innings for Cleveland, which went 8-1 during a nine-game homestand. The left- hander improved to 10-5 lifetime against Oakland.
Josh Donaldson hit a solo homer for the Athletics, who saw starter Bartolo Colon (3-2) give up six runs on eight hits over four innings.
"He didn't look awful," A's manager Bob Melvin said of Colon. "Velocity was there. The balls he got in the middle of the plate, they hit. And they did it the whole series. Sometimes the other team just beats you. Today that was probably the case."
The Indians jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first inning. Michael Brantley led off with a single and scored on Kipnis' homer to left-center field.
Cleveland tacked on three more runs in the second. Reynolds doubled to right- center field and raced home on Yan Gomes' double down the right-field line. Drew Stubbs followed with an RBI single to left. He moved to third on Brantley's single and scored on Kipnis' sacrifice fly.
Swisher led off the third with a homer to make it 6-0.
The Indians put three more runs on the board in the fifth. Asdrubal Cabrera doubled and scored on Jason Giambi's single to left. Reynolds followed with a two-run homer to right-center field.
"We stayed on Colon," Indians manager Terry Francona said. "He's got that terrific two-seamer that you're just dying and rolling over into a double play. We didn't. We stayed in the middle of the field, and we barreled up a lot of balls and we stayed at him."
Donaldson's homer in the sixth cut the gap to 9-1. Oakland added another run in the eighth when Rosales walked, advanced to third on Jed Lowrie's base hit and scored on Eric Sogard's single to right. The A's stranded the bases loaded later in the frame.
The Indians entered this series with the Athletics having lost eight straight to them ... Cleveland finished a homestand with eight wins for the first time since going 9-1 from Sept. 8-18, 2005 vs. Detroit (1-0), Minnesota (3-0), Oakland (2-1) and Kansas City (3-0) ... Colon fell to 6-4 lifetime versus the Indians ... Cleveland had 12 hits ... Following the game, the Indians activated outfielder Michael Bourn from the 15-day disabled list and optioned pitcher Scott Barnes to Triple-A Columbus.
- OAKLAND: 2
May 9 3:06 PM
- Eric Sogard singled to right scored Adam Rosales. On the play, Jed Lowrie advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Josh Donaldson due up.
Athletics 2, Indians 9 Top 8, 0 OutsMay 9 2:37 PM
- Josh Donaldson two-out, solo Home Run (4) to left. Luke Montz due up.
Athletics 1, Indians 9 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 9 2:02 PM
- Mark Reynolds one-out, two-run Home Run (11) to right center scored Jason Giambi. Lonnie Chisenhall due up.
Athletics 0, Indians 9 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 9 1:46 PM
- Jason Giambi singled to left scored Asdrubal Cabrera. Runner on first with one out and Mark Reynolds due up.
Athletics 0, Indians 7 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 9 1:44 PM
- Nick Swisher lead-off Home Run (5) to right. Jason Giambi due up.
Athletics 0, Indians 6 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 9 1:04 PM
- Jason Kipnis sacrifice fly to center scored Drew Stubbs. Runner on first with two outs and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Athletics 0, Indians 5 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 9 12:48 PM
- Drew Stubbs singled to left scored Yan Gomes. Runner on first with one out and Michael Brantley due up.
Athletics 0, Indians 4 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 9 12:46 PM
- Yan Gomes doubled to right scored Mark Reynolds. On the play, Gomes advances to third on Brandon Moss's fielding error. Runner on third with one out and Drew Stubbs due up.
Athletics 0, Indians 3 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 9 12:45 PM
- Jason Kipnis none-out, two-run Home Run (4) to left center scored Michael Brantley. Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Athletics 0, Indians 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 9 12:24 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 9 12:06 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21