Morales, Mariners handle A'sMay 13, 2013 - 1:04 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Kendrys Morales smashed a three-run home run and Joe Saunders pitched 6 1/3 innings of solid, one-run baseball as the Seattle Mariners defeated the Oakland Athletics, 6-1, in the rubber match of a three-game set.
Joe Saunders (3-4) struck out six and gave up one run on five hits and three walks for the Mariners, who have won three of their last four games.
"He's smart, he has a good feel, his stuff's been really good. I've been impressed with his stuff," Seattle manager Eric Wedge said.
Jason Bay hit a solo shot while Kyle Seager and Jesus Montero contributed with an RBI apiece in the victory.
Luke Montz drove in the lone run for the Athletics, who saw starter Tommy Milone (3-5) surrender five runs on six hits and three walks over five frames.
Morales' three-run blast came in the first. Michael Saunders singled to lead off the inning and Seager drew a walk to set up the home run.
"Saunders has a good at-bat, gets a hit. Then, (Milone) gets Bay out. I think the Seager at-bat was probably the one that got him in the wrong direction, and then, Morales hits a decent pitch that's down for a 3-0 lead, and that was the biggest at-bats of the game," A's manager Bob Melvin said of Milone's first inning.
Oakland responded with a run the second following back-to-back doubles by Donaldson and Montz.
Morse knocked a double to begin the fourth. He advanced to third on a grounder by Justin Smoak and reached home on Montero's single.
Seattle tacked on another run in the fifth. Michael Saunders reached first on a bunt single, moved to third on Bay's base hit and scored on Seager's sacrifice fly.
Bay's homer in the seventh made it a 6-1 contest. Yoervis Medina allowed just one hit over 1 2/3 innings of relief and Oliver Perez struck out the side in the ninth to seal the victory.
Brandon Moss was 0-for-4 with four strikeouts ... The Athletics were 2-for-10 with runners in scoring position and left eight men on base ... Seattle is 21-15 all-time on Mother's Day, including winning eight of its last nine games ... The Mariners are 17-8 when their starting pitcher works at least six innings. When their starters work less, they are 1-12.
- OAKLAND: 1
May 12 6:52 PM
- Jason Bay one-out, solo Home Run (4) to center. Kyle Seager due up.
Athletics 1, Mariners 6 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 12 6:22 PM
- Kyle Seager sacrifice fly out to right scored Michael Saunders with one out. Runner on first and Kendrys Morales due up.
Athletics 1, Mariners 5 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 12 5:41 PM
- Jesus Montero single to left scored Michael Morse with one out. Runner on first and Robert Andino due up.
Athletics 1, Mariners 4 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 12 5:23 PM
- Luke Montz double to left scored Josh Donaldson with none out. Runner on second and Derek Norris due up.
Athletics 1, Mariners 3 Top 2, 0 OutsMay 12 4:37 PM
- Kendrys Morales one-out, three-run Home Run (4) to left scored Michael Saunders and Kyle Seager. Michael Morse due up.
Athletics 0, Mariners 3 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 12 4:24 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 12 4:11 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21