Butler, Royals pound AngelsMay 14, 2013 - 6:12 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Billy Butler went 5-for-5 with two doubles and five RBI to lead the Kansas City Royals to an 11-4 rout of the LA Angels of Anaheim in the opener of a three-game set at Angel Stadium.
Salvador Perez went 3-for-4 with a double and two RBI and Lorenzo Cain added three hits, two RBI and two runs scored for the Royals, who snapped a three- game losing streak.
"We knew the offense would click, and tonight it did. Up and down, everyone contributed. Billy is one of the best hitters I have ever seen, he can really hit and he can carry the team for a period of time," said Royals manager Ned Yost.
Luis Mendoza (1-2) gave up three runs on six hits while striking out six over six frames. Luke Hochevar earned the first save of his career after spinning three innings of one-run ball.
J.B. Shuck, Albert Pujols, Mark Trumbo and Chris Iannetta each drove in a run for the Angels, losers in six of their last nine games.
Joe Blanton (0-7) was tagged with the loss after giving up seven runs on 12 hits over 4 2/3 innings.
"I felt good, I thought I had good stuff, but when they made contact it found a hole. That's baseball," Blanton said.
Butler got things started for the Royals in the first as he ripped a two-out double to right field to score Alex Gordon. Butler's two-run single in the third made it 3-0.
Iannetta got the Halos on the board with a base hit to center field to score Alberto Callaspo in the home half.
Jarrod Dyson's double in the fourth pushed Cain across to give the Royals a 4-1 edge, and the visitors added three more in both the fifth and sixth innings to go up 10-1.
With two on and one out in the fifth, Cain roped a single to left field to score Butler. After Mike Moustakas grounded out to second, Perez clubbed a double to center to bring Eric Hosmer and Cain around.
In the sixth, Butler crushed another double to right field to score Alcides Escobar and Gordon. Cain added an RBI single two hitters later to give Kansas City a nine-run edge.
The Angels scored a pair in the bottom of the sixth. Pujols doubled home Mike Trout, moved to third on a wild pitch then scored on Trumbo's ground out to third.
Escobar added an RBI double in the seventh and Shuck doubled home Callaspo in the home half to account for the final margin.
There were no walks issued in the game by either team ... Butler has two career five-hit games ... The Royals were 7-for-15 with runners in scoring position ... Kansas City had 19 hits ... Josh Hamilton and Callaspo both collected two hits for the Angels.
- KANSAS CITY: 11
LOS ANGELES: 4
May 14 1:14 AM
- J.B. Shuck double to left center scored Alberto Callaspo with two outs. Runner on second and Mike Trout due up.
Royals 11, Angels 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 14 12:38 AM
- Alcides Escobar double to left scored Salvador Perez with two outs. Runner on second and Alex Gordon due up.
Royals 11, Angels 3 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 14 12:30 AM
- Mark Trumbo groundout to third scored Albert Pujols with two out. None on with two outs and Josh Hamilton due up.
Royals 10, Angels 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 14 12:15 AM
- Albert Pujols double to center scored Mike Trout with one out. Runner on second with one out and Mark Trumbo due up.
Royals 10, Angels 2 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 14 12:13 AM
- Lorenzo Cain single to left scored Billy Butler with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Mike Moustakas due up.
Royals 10, Angels 1 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 14 12:07 AM
- Billy Butler double to right scored Alcides Escobar and Alex Gordon with one out. Runner on second with one out and Eric Hosmer due up.
Royals 9, Angels 1 Top 6, 1 OutMay 14 12:04 AM
- Salvador Perez double to center scored Eric Hosmer and Lorenzo Cain with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Chris Getz due up.
Royals 7, Angels 1 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 13 11:43 PM
- Lorenzo Cain single to left scored Billy Butler with one out. On the play, Eric Hosmer advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Mike Moustakas due up.
Royals 5, Angels 1 Top 5, 1 OutMay 13 11:37 PM
- Jarrod Dyson double to right scored Lorenzo Cain with two out. On the play, Salvador Perez advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Alcides Escobar due up.
Royals 4, Angels 1 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 13 11:17 PM
- Chris Iannetta single to center scored Alberto Callaspo. Runner on first with one out and J.B. Shuck due up.
Royals 3, Angels 1 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 13 11:05 PM
- Billy Butler single to center scored Jarrod Dyson and Alcides Escobar. Runner on first with two outs and Eric Hosmer due up.
Royals 3, Angels 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 13 10:52 PM
- Billy Butler double to right scored Alex Gordon. Runner on second with two outs and Eric Hosmer due up.
Royals 1, Angels 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 13 10:16 PM
- KANSAS CITY: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 13 10:08 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22