Padres beat up O's, sweep two-game setMay 16, 2013 - 6:32 AM Baltimore, MD (Sports Network) - Alexi Amarista doubled twice and added a two-run homer and Everth Cabrera had four hits with an RBI, as the San Diego Padres bested the Baltimore Orioles, 8-4, to complete a two-game interleague sweep at Camden Yards.
Kyle Blanks added a solo home run and John Baker drove in two for the Padres, who rebounded after being swept by Tampa Bay in a three-game set and have won six of their last nine.
Starter Jason Marquis (5-2) picked up the win and allowed two runs -- both solo homers -- over five-plus innings with three strike outs and four walks.
"They've got a great lineup, so you've got to make your pitches," Marquis said. "Some days you're not going to feel as good as others, but you've still got to make pitches in a big situation."
J.J. Hardy and Matt Wieters accounted for both solo homers off Marquis, while Manny Machado went 4-for-5 with two runs scored and three doubles for Baltimore, which has dropped four of its last six contests.
Freddy Garcia (0-2), facing a San Diego team which released him during spring training, allowed four runs on seven hits over 3 2/3 innings to absorb the loss.
"Garcia was not quite as crisp. He wasn't the only one," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said. "We just didn't pitch well today. It wasn't just Freddy. They hit a lot of balls hard, too. They came in here and swung the bats well. We've got to pitch better. It was certainly a hiccup pitching-wise today."
Holding a two-run lead through five innings, San Diego broke open the game over the next two frames.
Tommy Hunter took the hill for the hosts in the sixth with runners on first and third with two done, but gave up an RBI single to Carlos Quentin, pushing the Padres' lead to 5-2.
In the seventh, Blanks hit a slow-roller near the mound, but reached first on Hunter's throwing error. Amarista made the righty pay with a two-run blast to center to make it 7-2.
Machado doubled with one down in the home half and scored on Adam Jones' RBI single, but it was too little, too late for the O's.
San Diego chipped away at Garcia in the fourth, eventually forcing the righty out of the game.
The second batter of the frame, Blanks, hit a solo shot, his second homer of the year, to give the visitors a 3-1 lead. Garcia then gave up a double to Amarista and forced a Baker fly out, but walked Cabrera to put an end to his outing.
T.J. McFarland entered the game and immediately served up an RBI double to Will Venable to make it a 4-1 game. Wieters' solo homer in the bottom of the inning briefly cut the Orioles' deficit to two, but San Diego soon took control.
San Diego opened the scoring with two runs in the second thanks to Amarista's two-out, ground-rule double which put runners on second and third. Baker followed with a single through the right side to give the Padres a 2-0 lead.
Hardy put the Orioles on the board with a leadoff homer to left in the bottom half of the frame.
Cabrera added an RBI single in the top of the ninth and Nick Markakis drove in one with a double in the home half to account for the final margin.
San Diego leads the all-time series 6-5 ... Baltimore fell to 12-4 this season following a loss, including 3-2 at home ... Garcia's 4-3 in 10 career starts against the Padres, but this was the first time facing them since 2005 ... Marquis has allowed seven runs over 25 2/3 innings while winning four straight starts ... The Padres matched a season-high with 17 hits.
- SAN DIEGO: 8
May 15 3:50 PM
- Nick Markakis doubled to right scoring Manny Machado. Runner on second with one out and Adam Jones due up.
Padres 8, Orioles 4 Bot 9, 1 OutMay 15 3:43 PM
- Everth Cabrera singled to right scoring Jedd Gyorko. On the play, John Baker was tagged out at third from right to first to third to end the inning.
Padres 8, Orioles 3 Mid 9May 15 3:40 PM
- Adam Jones singled to left scoring Manny Machado. Runner on first with two outs and Chris Davis due up.
Padres 7, Orioles 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 15 3:06 PM
- Alexi Amarista one-out, two-run Home Run (3) to center scored Kyle Blanks. John Baker is due up.
Padres 7, Orioles 2 Top 7, 1 OutMay 15 2:49 PM
- Carlos Quentin singled to right scoring Everth Cabrera. On the play, Chase Headley advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Yonder Alonso due up.
Padres 5, Orioles 2 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 15 2:28 PM
- Matt Wieters lead-off Home Run (6) to right-center. J.J. Hardy is due up.
Padres 4, Orioles 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsMay 15 2:02 PM
- Will Venable doubled to right scoring Alexi Amarista. On the play, Everth Cabrera advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Chase Headley due up.
Padres 4, Orioles 1 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 15 1:51 PM
- Kyle Blanks one-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Alexi Amarista is due up.
Padres 3, Orioles 1 Top 4, 1 OutMay 15 1:42 PM
- J.J. Hardy lead-off Home Run (7) to left. Ryan Flaherty is due up.
Padres 2, Orioles 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsMay 15 1:14 PM
- John Baker singled to right scoring Jedd Gyorko and Alexi Amarista. Runner on first with two outs and Everth Cabrera due up.
Padres 2, Orioles 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 15 1:04 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 15 12:41 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22