Kipnis, Tribe top M'sMay 18, 2013 - 5:25 AM Cleveland, OH (Sports Network) - Jason Kipnis hit a three-run homer in the bottom of the 10th inning to lift the Cleveland Indians over the Seattle Mariners, 6-3, in the opener of a four-game series.
Drew Stubbs worked a two-out walk, stole second and moved to third on Michael Bourn's infield single. Kipnis then smacked a Lucas Luetge (0-1) offering over the wall in right to give Cleveland its second straight win.
"I was looking offspeed. He threw me a slider," Kipnis said. "When he came back with the same pitch I knew I didn't want to roll over and pull up on it. I just got the bat in a good position and got it up in the air."
Stubbs hit a solo homer for the Indians, who got an RBI from Jason Giambi.
Cleveland starter Ubaldo Jimenez allowed two runs on seven hits while striking out nine over five-plus innings. Vinnie Pestano (1-0), who was activated from the 15-day disabled list prior to Friday's game, tossed a scoreless 10th to pick up the win.
Raul Ibanez went 3-for-5 with a two-run homer for the Mariners, who got a solo homer from Kendrys Morales.
Brandon Maurer got the start for Seattle and gave up three runs on five hits while striking out six over and walking four over six innings.
"I thought he made some great strides against the left-handers today," Mariners manager Eric Wedge said. "I thought he was impressive through that sixth inning."
The Indians scored a pair of runs in the second. Nick Swisher walked and Carlos Santana doubled off the wall in right to begin the frame. Giambi's sacrifice fly to right scored Swisher, with Santana moving to third on the play. A wild pitch allowed Santana to cross the plate.
Seattle, which stranded a runner on third in the third, got on the board in the fourth. Morales' homer landed in the second deck in right.
Stubbs' homer to right in the fifth gave Cleveland a 3-1 margin.
Ibanez responded with a two-run homer in the sixth to tie the game. Justin Smoak led off with a single, chasing Jimenez from the contest. Rich Hill came in from the bullpen and Ibanez greeted him with a blast over the wall in right.
The Mariners had a chance to take the lead in the eighth when Ibanez started things with a single. Kelly Shoppach's sacrifice bunt and Endy Chavez's groundout moved Ibanez to third. However, Bryan Shaw got Brendan Ryan to go down swinging.
Cleveland and Seattle split eight meetings in 2012 ... The Mariners selected the contract of pitcher Danny Farquhar from Triple-A Tacoma, optioned pitcher Hector Noesi to Tacoma and transferred pitcher Stephen Pryor to the 60-day disabled list ... Seattle went 0-for-7 with runners in scoring position and stranded 10.
- SEATTLE: 3
May 17 10:48 PM
- Jason Kipnis two-out, three-run Home Run (7) to right scored Drew Stubbs and Michael Bourn to end the game.
Mariners 3, Indians 6 Bot 10, 2 OutsMay 17 10:44 PM
- Raul Ibanez none-out, two-run Home Run (7) to right scored Justin Smoak. Kelly Shoppach is due up.
Mariners 3, Indians 3 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 17 8:59 PM
- Drew Stubbs one-out, solo Home Run (3) to right. Michael Bourn is due up.
Mariners 1, Indians 3 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 17 8:42 PM
- Kendrys Morales one-out, solo Home Run (5) to right. Justin Smoak is due up.
Mariners 1, Indians 2 Top 4, 1 OutMay 17 8:06 PM
- Brandon Maurer's wild pitch scored Carlos Santana. None on with two outs and Michael Brantley at the plate.
Mariners 0, Indians 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 17 7:43 PM
- Jason Giambi sacrifice fly to right scored Nick Swisher. On the play, Carlos Santana advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Mark Reynolds due up.
Mariners 0, Indians 1 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 17 7:40 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 17 7:07 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Kelly takes no-hitter 6 2/3, Betts 2 HRs in Boston's win May 21