Reynolds lifts Indians over MarinersMay 18, 2013 - 11:36 PM Cleveland, OH (Sports Network) - The Cleveland Indians squandered a four-run lead, but rebounded to beat the Seattle Mariners in walk-off fashion for the second straight day.
Mark Reynolds homered and finished with three RBI, as the Indians edged the Mariners, 5-4, in the second test of a four-game set at Progressive Field.
"I don't think our mentality is ever that we can't win," Cleveland manager Terry Francona said. "Go, go and go and play and play until they make you stop and if you don't have enough runs, then show up the next day."
Cleveland starter Zach McAllister was given a 4-0 lead heading to the top of the eighth, but was removed after giving up a two-run homer to Brendan Ryan.
The Mariners then pulled even in the ninth when Raul Ibanez and Justin Smoak hit back-to-back, two-out homers off closer Chris Perez (2-0).
"You don't see that happen very often," Seattle manager Eric Wedge said. "You hit a couple solo shots to tie the ballgame against a closer like that. They really came back and snatched it from us."
Oliver Perez (1-1) didn't retire a batter in the bottom of the frame for Seattle.
Jason Kipnis, who crushed the game-winning, three-run homer in the 10th inning of Friday's series opener, singled and Asdrubal Cabrera doubled before an intentional walk to Nick Swisher loaded the bases.
Following a pitching change, Reynolds chopped Yoervis Medina's 0-1 offering to short. Ryan made a nice diving stop to his right and fired home. His throw beat Kipnis home, but the Cleveland second baseman was called safe because catcher Jesus Montero didn't have his foot on the plate.
Cabrera finished with three hits for Cleveland, which has won three straight and 16 of its last 20 games.
Reynolds drove in the Indians' first two runs with a two-out single in the first off Seattle starter Joe Saunders and a blast to left field in the fifth.
Cleveland further extended its lead against the veteran left-hander in the next inning.
Mike Aviles open the sixth with a double and Yan Gomes singled. After Drew Stubbs dropped down a sacrifice bunt, Michael Bourn knocked in a run with a fielder's choice. Bourn had hit an infield chopper to short, but Ryan's throw home was late. Saunders' outing was done following an RBI single by Kipnis.
McAllister gave up six hits in 7 1/3 innings ... Saunders allowed 11 hits in 5 1/3 innings ... The Mariners have lost four straight games in Cleveland ... Seattle third baseman Kyle Seager (0-for-4) failed to get a hit for the first time in eight career games at Progressive Field ... Ibanez has six home runs over his last seven games.
- SEATTLE: 4
May 18 4:06 PM
- Mark Reynolds grounded into a fielder's choice to short scored Jason Kipnis with none out to win the game.
Mariners 4, Indians 5 Bot 9, 0 OutsMay 18 4:03 PM
- Justin Smoak two-out, solo Home Run (2) to center. Jesus Montero due up.
Mariners 4, Indians 4 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 18 3:47 PM
- Raul Ibanez two-out, solo Home Run (8) to right. Justin Smoak due up.
Mariners 3, Indians 4 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 18 3:45 PM
- Brendan Ryan one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Justin Smoak. Endy Chavez due up.
Mariners 2, Indians 4 Top 8, 1 OutMay 18 3:23 PM
- Jason Kipnis single to left scored Yan Gomes. On the play, Michael Bourn advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Mariners 0, Indians 4 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 18 2:55 PM
- Michael Bourn grounded into a fielder's choice to short scoring Mike Aviles. On the play, Yan Gomes advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Jason Kipnis due up.
Mariners 0, Indians 3 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 18 2:53 PM
- Mark Reynolds two-out, solo Home Run (12) to left. Carlos Santana due up.
Mariners 0, Indians 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 18 2:35 PM
- Mark Reynolds single to right scored Asdrubal Cabrera. On the play, Nick Swisher advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Carlos Santana due up.
Mariners 0, Indians 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 18 1:26 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 18 1:06 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Kelly takes no-hitter 6 2/3, Betts 2 HRs in Boston's win May 21