Andrus stars as Rangers down TigersMay 19, 2013 - 3:58 AM Arlington, TX (Sports Network) - Elvis Andrus had a career-high five hits to go with three runs scored and two RBI as the Texas Rangers downed the Detroit Tigers, 7-2, at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington on Saturday.
"He had a good night tonight," praised Rangers manager Ron Washington. "He stayed up in the big part of the field. We certainly needed that."
Andrus had a double, triple and also stole two bags as Texas won for the fourth time in its last five contests to up its record to a major league-best 28-15. Lance Berkman went 2-for-4 with two RBI while Mitch Moreland hit his 10th home run of the season in the triumph.
Justin Grimm (3-3) matched a career-high with 105 pitches and snapped a three-game losing skid by tossing 6 2/3 innings of seven-hit, two-run baseball.
"Early in the game he was getting behind hitters, but once he went out there in the fourth inning he started attacking the zone," said Washington. "He used all his pitches and started moving the ball around. He did an outstanding job."
Anibal Sanchez (4-4) took the loss after Texas produced nine hits and six runs -- five earned -- in just 2 2/3 innings off the Tigers' starter.
Andrus, who had been 0-for-7 lifetime against Sanchez entering the game, put Texas up 1-0 early when he singled and scored in the first inning. Andrus stole second and advanced to third base on Alex Avila's throwing error and scored when Avila allowed a passed ball one batter later.
The Rangers shortstop then tripled to right-center, plating Leonys Martin to start a three-run second frame. Andrus scored his second run in as many innings when Sanchez's throw to first base on a David Murphy grounder was off the mark. Berkman singled home Murphy on the very next pitch, and Texas had a 4-0 edge after two. Sanchez needed 64 pitches to get through the first two frames.
Both teams put two across in the third inning. Torii Hunter drove in a run with a double to right and scored on Prince Fielder's RBI single for Detroit's lone runs.
Moreland led off the bottom half of the third with a homer to left-center and Andrus brought Robinson Chirinos home with a single to center with two outs.
Andrus played a part in the Rangers final run when he led off the sixth with a double down the left-field line. Murphy grounded out to second, allowing Andrus to take third base, and Berkman brought him home with a double to left- center.
Texas has taken two of three from Detroit in this four-game series.
"We're down 2-1. If we could finish with a split, we wish we could do more, but we'll be happy with that," said Hunter.
Texas hit 4-for-17 with runners in scoring position and left nine men on base ... Rangers pitchers surrendered just one walk ... Hunter had two hits ... The Tigers have lost three of four.
- DETROIT: 2
May 18 11:09 PM
- Lance Berkman double to center scored Elvis Andrus with one out. Runner on second and Adrian Beltre due up.
Tigers 2, Rangers 7 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 18 10:20 PM
- Elvis Andrus single to center scored Robinson Chirinos with two out. Runner on first and David Murphy due up.
Tigers 2, Rangers 6 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 18 9:30 PM
- Mitch Moreland lead-off Home Run (10) to left center. Robinson Chirinos due up.
Tigers 2, Rangers 5 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 18 9:25 PM
- Prince Fielder single to left scored Torii Hunter with two out. Runner on first and Victor Martinez due up.
Tigers 2, Rangers 4 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 18 9:21 PM
- Torii Hunter double to right scored Avisail Garcia with one out. Runner on second and Miguel Cabrera due up.
Tigers 1, Rangers 4 Top 3, 1 OutMay 18 9:15 PM
- Lance Berkman single to right scored David Murphy with one out. Runner on first and Adrian Beltre due up.
Tigers 0, Rangers 4 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 18 9:03 PM
- David Murphy reached first on Anibal Sanchez's fielding error scored Elvis Andrus with one out. On the play, David Murphy advances to third. Runner on third and Lance Berkman due up.
Tigers 0, Rangers 3 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 18 9:02 PM
- Elvis Andrus triple to right scored Leonys Martin with one out. Runner on third and David Murphy due up.
Tigers 0, Rangers 2 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 18 8:58 PM
- Elvis Andrus scored on a Alex Avila passed ball with one out. None on and Lance Berkman at the plate.
Tigers 0, Rangers 1 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 18 8:24 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 18 8:09 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22