Masterson, Brantley help Tribe blank MarinersMay 19, 2013 - 9:54 PM Cleveland, OH (Sports Network) - Justin Masterson twirled a gem and struck out a season-high 11 batters and Michael Brantley drove in four runs as the Cleveland Indians downed the Seattle Mariners, 6-0, picking up a win for the third time in this four-game set.
Masterson (7-2) yielded just three hits and two walks in seven innings of work for the Tribe, winners in 12 of their last 14 home games.
"Today was our day," said Masterson. "Both offensively and pitching-wise it worked out well."
Brantley homered and scored twice while Michael Bourn, Jason Kipnis and Mike Aviles all went 2-for-4 with at least one run scored.
"We did a great job today of just battling, working the count and getting them to throw a lot of pitches early," said Brantley.
Felix Hernandez (5-3), who had been battling a sore back, took the loss after lasting a season-low five innings and surrendering six runs -- five earned -- on eight hits while striking out eight.
"He was a little bit off and they did a good job against him," said Mariners manager Eric Wedge. "They did a good job laying off some tough pitches. They hit some tough pitches. You got to give them credit."
Multiple Seattle miscues spotted the Indians an early lead as Bourn got Cleveland started when he led off the bottom of the first with a slap to right field and took second when Michael Morse casually sent the ball back to the infield. After Kipnis struck out, Brantley delivered an RBI single to right. Brantley then scored after Nick Swisher smacked the ball through Justin Smoak's legs at first base.
Bourn started a two-out rally in the next inning when he beat out a sharp grounder to second. Kipnis followed with a single to center and Brantley took Hernandez deep to center field for his second homer of the season. After two, the Indians led 5-0.
Aviles led off the fourth with a double to left and scored one batter later when Drew Stubbs dribbled a swinging bunt in front of catcher Jesus Montero, who threw Stubbs out at first but was late recovering to home plate.
Rich Hill and Joe Smith each walked a batter but combined for two scoreless innings of relief for Cleveland.
Mark Reynolds had been hitting 9-for-18 with two outs and runners in scoring position, but struck out twice with men on second and third against Hernandez ... Masterson struck out the side in the third and seventh innings ... Seattle hit 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position and left nine men on base.
- SEATTLE: 0
May 19 3:45 PM
- Drew Stubbs ground out catcher to first scored Mike Aviles. None on with one out and Michael Bourn due up.
Mariners 0, Indians 6 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 19 2:16 PM
- Michael Brantley two-out, three-run Home Run (2) to center scored Michael Bourn and Jason Kipnis. Nick Swisher due up.
Mariners 0, Indians 5 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 19 1:47 PM
- Nick Swisher reached first on Justin Smoak's fielding error scoring Michael Brantley. Runner on first with one out and Jason Giambi due up.
Mariners 0, Indians 2 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 19 1:21 PM
- Michael Brantley single to right scored Michael Bourn. On the play, Michael Brantley advanced to second on the throw. Runner on second with one out and Nick Swisher due up.
Mariners 0, Indians 1 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 19 1:18 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 19 1:06 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Kelly takes no-hitter 6 2/3, Betts 2 HRs in Boston's win May 21