Angels crush Mariners behind Trout's cycleMay 22, 2013 - 5:40 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Mike Trout hit for the cycle and drove in five runs and Jerome Williams tossed eight scoreless innings to lead the LA Angels of Anaheim to a 12-0 dismantling of the Seattle Mariners on Tuesday.
Williams (3-1) scattered six hits and struck out six to earn the win.
"I was able to keep the ball down and attack the zone tonight," Williams said.
Josh Hamilton and Howie Kendrick both hit two-run homers, Albert Pujols drove in a pair and Erik Aybar went 2-for-3 with two doubles, an RBI and two runs scored for the Angels, winners in three straight.
Aaron Harang (1-5) gave up seven runs on nine hits over just 3 2/3 innings to absorb the loss.
"Aaron made too many mistakes up in the zone. They jumped out early, and it got away from him in the fourth inning," Mariners manager Eric Wedge said.
The Halos plated three runs in the first inning. Aybar doubled then scored on a Pujols single to left field and Hamilton followed one batter later with his two-run blast to center.
LA would added four runs in both the fourth and sixth innings to blow the game open.
Hamilton opened the fourth with a triple to right and Kendrick followed with a two-run shot to right-center field to make it 5-0. Alberto Callaspo doubled before scoring on an Aybar double to center and Trout followed with an RBI triple to center to give the hosts a seven-run edge.
With the bases loaded in the sixth, Trout ripped a three-run double to left field. Pujols followed with an RBI single to center to make it 11-0.
Trout completed the cycle with a solo homer in the eighth inning. The 21-year- old became the youngest player in American League history to accomplish the feat.
"It feels great. I didn't think about it until about the eighth inning. It was a 2-0 count, and in the back of my mind I knew I had to barrel it up," Trout said. "As soon as I hit it I knew it had a chance. I can't explain the feeling right now.
Trout became the third player 21-years-old or younger to hit for the cycle since 1930. Arky Vaughn (1933, 21) and Cesar Cedeno (1972, 21) also accomplished the feat ... Hamilton turned 32 on Tuesday ... The Angels were 6- for-11 with runners in scoring position ... Kendrick extended his hitting streak to seven games ... The last Angels player to hit for the cycle was Chone Figgins (Sept. 2006) ... The Mariners have been shutout four times this season ... Seattle has dropped five straight games.
- SEATTLE: 0
LOS ANGELES: 12
May 22 12:56 AM
- Mike Trout one-out, solo Home Run (9) to center. Hank Conger due up.
Mariners 0, Angels 12 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 22 12:40 AM
- Albert Pujols single to center scored Mike Trout. Runner on first with none out and Mark Trumbo due up.
Mariners 0, Angels 11 Bot 6, 0 OutsMay 22 12:09 AM
- Mike Trout double to left scored Chris Iannetta, J.B. Shuck and Brendan Harris. Runner on second with none out and Albert Pujols due up.
Mariners 0, Angels 10 Bot 6, 0 OutsMay 22 12:08 AM
- Mike Trout triple to center scored Erick Aybar. Runner on third with two outs and Albert Pujols due up.
Mariners 0, Angels 7 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 21 11:24 PM
- Erick Aybar double to center scored Alberto Callaspo. Runner on second with two outs and Mike Trout due up.
Mariners 0, Angels 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 21 11:22 PM
- Howie Kendrick none-out, two-run Home Run (7) to right scored Josh Hamilton. Alberto Callaspo due up.
Mariners 0, Angels 5 Bot 4, 0 OutsMay 21 11:15 PM
- Josh Hamilton two-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left scored Albert Pujols. Howie Kendrick due up.
Mariners 0, Angels 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 21 10:26 PM
- Albert Pujols single to left scored Erick Aybar. Runner on first with one out and Mark Trumbo due up.
Mariners 0, Angels 1 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 21 10:22 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 21 10:08 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21