O's swamp Yankees with early offenseMay 23, 2013 - 5:25 AM New York Yankees in the finale of a three-game series.
Davis topped Nick Markakis' solo blast in the bottom of the first inning with a two-run shot later in the frame, while Matt Wieters tacked on a three-run homer later on to help Baltimore down its AL East rival for a second straight night after opening an eight-game homestand with six consecutive losses.
"Any time a division rival comes in you want to win the series," Davis said. "We were able to get back on track."
Wieters, Adam Jones and Manny Machado each collected two hits to back 6 2/3 solid innings from Jason Hammel (6-2), who held the Yankees to a pair of runs while striking out six.
Counterpart Huroki Kuroda (6-3) had a rough time, serving up eight hits and getting charged for five runs before exiting with none out in the bottom of the third, the result of a bruised right calf the New York starter sustained from a Machado line drive an inning earlier.
Curtis Granderson had a big night in defeat for the Yankees, finishing 3-for-3 with two runs scored and his first home run of the season. David Adams added another solo homer in the top of the ninth.
Kuroda was greeted rudely in his first career start at Camden Yards, with Markakis depositing a two-out slider over the wall in right center and Jones following with a single that extended the opening inning for Davis, who mashed a full-count offering into the center-field seats to stake the Orioles to a 3-0 lead.
"(Kuroda) made some mistakes in the first inning, and they jumped in it," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said.
The homer was Davis' 14th of the season, which ties him with Atlanta's Justin Upton for tops in the majors.
Kuroda escaped the second without Baltimore extending the margin, managing to retire Markakis with two on and two out immediately after taking Machado's liner off his leg, and the Yankees cut into the deficit when Granderson doubled to begin the third and crossed the plate on Robinson Cano's ensuing single to center.
However, Jones doubled and Davis singled to end Kuroda's night with none out in the bottom of the inning. Wieters then greeted reliever Preston Claiborne with a deep drive that cleared the fence in right center for a 6-1 Orioles' advantage.
Hammel prevented further damage in the top of the third by inducing a double- play grounder with a pair of runners aboard. His only blemish thereafter came when Granderson connected in the fifth for New York's second run.
The power-hitting outfielder, who entered the contest mired in a 4-for-23 skid since returning from a fractured forearm, tied for second in the AL with 43 homers last season.
Brian Matusz silenced the Yankee bats in 1 1/3 innings in relief of Hammel, with Adams accounting for the final margin with his second homer of the series, a shot off Darren O'Day to open the ninth.
Yankees outfielder Ichiro Suzuki singled in his first at-bat and has now hit safely in 21 straight games at Camden Yards, one shy of the longest streak by any player in the park's history. Boston's Jacoby Ellsbury hit in 22 straight there from 2008-12. Suzuki also tied Cincinnati's Joey Votto, who's hit in 21 in a row at Milwaukee's Miller Park, for the longest active run at any ballpark ... Markakis' homer extended his hitting streak to seven games, but teammate Chris Dickerson had a seven-game tear snapped after going 0-for-4 ... Baltimore's Nate McLouth stole his 14th base of the year, one more than Ellsbury for the current AL lead ... Kuroda has given up at least one run in five of his 10 starts in 2013.
- NEW YORK: 3
May 22 10:11 PM
- David Adams lead-off Home Run (2) to left. Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Yankees 3, Orioles 6 Top 9, 0 OutsMay 22 10:02 PM
- Curtis Granderson one-out, solo Home Run (1) to center. Robinson Cano due up.
Yankees 2, Orioles 6 Top 5, 1 OutMay 22 8:53 PM
- Matt Wieters none-out, three-run Home Run (7) to center scored Adam Jones and Chris Davis. J.J. Hardy due up.
Yankees 1, Orioles 6 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 22 8:30 PM
- Robinson Cano single to center scored Curtis Granderson with none out. Runner on first and Vernon Wells due up.
Yankees 1, Orioles 3 Top 3, 0 OutsMay 22 8:07 PM
- Chris Davis two-out, two-run Home Run (14) to center scored Adam Jones. Matt Wieters due up.
Yankees 0, Orioles 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 22 7:27 PM
- Nick Markakis two-out, solo Home Run (4) to center. Adam Jones due up.
Yankees 0, Orioles 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 22 7:22 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 22 7:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21