Yanks cruise past RaysMay 25, 2013 - 2:33 AM St. Petersburg, FL (Sports Network) - David Phelps pitched into the eighth inning and Brett Gardner clubbed a two-run homer, as the New York Yankees topped the Tampa Bay Rays, 9-4, at Tropicana Field.
Phelps (3-2) was charged with six hits and four runs over 7 2/3 innings, but the right-hander was forced to leave the game after being drilled on his right forearm by a line drive off the bat of Ben Zobrist.
"His location was excellent. He changed speeds really well. It was a good performance by him and our offense came to life tonight," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said.
Yankees outfielder Curtis Granderson suffered a fractured knuckle on his left pinkie. Granderson's injury, which was a fractured left fifth metacarpal, occurred in the fifth inning when he was hit by a pitch from Cesar Ramos. Granderson stayed in the game and scored on a walk to Jayson Nix, but then was replaced in the field by Ichiro Suzuki in the bottom of the frame.
Lyle Overbay and Nix each drove in two runs, as the AL East leaders avoided their first three-game skid of the season.
Roberto Hernandez (2-5) gave up six hits and five runs over four innings in Tampa Bay's third consecutive home defeat.
"I thought we had some really good at-bats and hit some balls really well, but we have to do a better job pitching," Rays manager Joe Maddon said.
Overbay had an RBI double and scored on a Nix line single up the middle for a 2-0 lead in the second inning.
Gardner homered to right field with Chris Stewart aboard in the fourth, and the visitors added three more in the next inning for an 8-0 cushion. Granderson was hit by a pitch with one out, and David Adams and Overbay followed with singles before Nix drew a walk on a low pitch to force in a run. Stewart singled to right field, and with two outs, Robinson Cano was clipped by a pitch with the bases full.
Phelps' first 3-ball count didn't occur until the bottom of the fifth when James Loney broke up the perfect game with a double off the top of the wall down the right-field line.
Matt Joyce had an RBI double as part of a three-run sixth frame for the Rays, but Nix tripled in the seventh and scored on a Jamey Wright wild pitch.
Sam Fuld's sacrifice fly plated Kelly Johnson, who tripled in the bottom of the seventh to account for the final run in the opener of this three-game series.
The Yankees have scored first in eight of their last 11 road games ... The Yankees activated pitcher Ivan Nova from the 15-day disabled list prior to Friday's game. He was placed on the DL April 27 with inflammation of the right triceps ... Hernandez fell to 1-6 lifetime against the Yankees ... Rays third baseman Evan Longoria went 0-for-4 and had his career-high 16-game hitting streak broken.
- NEW YORK: 9
TAMPA BAY: 4
May 24 10:07 PM
- Sam Fuld sacrifice fly to right scored Kelly Johnson with two out. None on and Jose Lobaton due up.
Yankees 9, Rays 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 24 9:27 PM
- With Chris Stewart batting, Jayson Nix scored on a Jamey Wright wild pitch with one out. None on and Chris Stewart at the plate.
Yankees 9, Rays 3 Top 7, 1 OutMay 24 9:17 PM
- Luke Scott sacrifice fly to center scored Matt Joyce with two out. None on and Evan Longoria due up.
Yankees 8, Rays 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 24 9:08 PM
- Ben Zobrist grounded out short to first scoring Yunel Escobar with one out. On the play, Matt Joyce advances to third. Runner on third and Luke Scott due up.
Yankees 8, Rays 2 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 24 9:06 PM
- Matt Joyce doubled to right scoring Jose Lobaton with none out. On the play, Yunel Escobar advances to third. Runners on second and third and Ben Zobrist due up.
Yankees 8, Rays 1 Bot 6, 0 OutsMay 24 9:05 PM
- Robinson Cano was hit-by-pitch scoring Lyle Overbay with two out. Bases loaded and Vernon Wells due up.
Yankees 8, Rays 0 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 24 8:41 PM
- Chris Stewart singled to right scoring David Adams with one out. On the play, Jayson Nix advances to second and Lyle Overbay advances to third. Bases loaded and Brett Gardner due up.
Yankees 7, Rays 0 Top 5, 1 OutMay 24 8:38 PM
- Jayson Nix walked scoring Curtis Granderson with one out. Bases loaded and Chris Stewart due up.
Yankees 6, Rays 0 Top 5, 1 OutMay 24 8:37 PM
- Brett Gardner two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to right scored Chris Stewart. Robinson Cano due up.
Yankees 5, Rays 0 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 24 8:10 PM
- Jayson Nix singled to center scoring Lyle Overbay with one out. Runner on first and Chris Stewart due up.
Yankees 3, Rays 0 Top 2, 1 OutMay 24 7:31 PM
- Lyle Overbay doubled to right scoring Travis Hafner and David Adams with one out. Runner on second and Jayson Nix due up.
Yankees 2, Rays 0 Top 2, 1 OutMay 24 7:29 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 24 7:10 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21