Murphy helps Rangers down M'sMay 26, 2013 - 6:18 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - David Murphy drove in three runs to help the Texas Rangers take a 5-2 win over the Seattle Mariners in the second of a three-game set.
Nelson Cruz hit a solo home run while Jurickson Profar went 2-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored for the Rangers, who have won three straight and five of seven. Derek Holland (4-2) gave up two unearned runs on four hits with 10 strikeouts over 6 2/3 innings to win his third straight decision.
Kendrys Morales drove in both runs for the Mariners, who have dropped eight straight games. Felix Hernandez (5-4) dropped his second straight start as he gave up all five runs on 11 hits in just 5 2/3 innings.
"They came out swinging, they came out aggressive and they hit it," Hernandez said of the Rangers.
Texas jumped on top in the second inning. Singles from Mitch Moreland and A.J. Pierzynski to begin the frame were followed by a base hit from Profar for the first run of the inning. Two batters later, Elvis Andrus hit a grounder to short that saw Pierzynski thrown out at home, but Murphy followed with a two- run double for a 3-0 lead.
In the third, the Mariners got two back. Jason Bay walked with one out and later stole second. Michael Morse then hit a grounder to short that Andrus misplayed and Morales followed that with a double to center that scored both runners to make it a 3-2 game.
Cruz's two-out solo shot over the wall in right in the fifth, his 12th of the year, gave the Rangers a 4-2 lead.
The Rangers plated another run in the sixth on Murphy's RBI single that scored Leonys Martin for a 5-2 lead.
Holland left the game with two outs in the seventh after walking Bay, but Robbie Ross got Kyle Seager to pop out and end the frame.
Craig Gentry pitched around a two-out single in the eighth inning, while Joe Nathan threw a 1-2-3 ninth for his 16th save of the season.
"He's at his best when he can get you to chase some pitches and then lock you up with the fastball. Tonight, when he threw some balls across the plate, we were fortunate enough to put them in play," Texas manager Ron Washington said of getting to Hernandez.
Texas has won seven of nine from Seattle this season ... Holland improved to 8-2 in his career against the Mariners, and is now 3-0 at Safeco Field ... Hernandez has faced Texas more than any other team during his career, but is now just 12-18 in 36 starts against the team.
- TEXAS: 5
May 26 1:37 AM
- David Murphy single to right scored Leonys Martin. On the play, Elvis Andrus advances to second. Runners on first and second with two out and Lance Berkman due up.
Rangers 5, Mariners 2 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 26 12:18 AM
- Nelson Cruz two-out, solo Home Run (12) to right. Mitch Moreland due up.
Rangers 4, Mariners 2 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 25 11:47 PM
- Kendrys Morales double to center scored Jason Bay and Michael Morse, advances to third on Elvis Andrus's throwing error. Runner on third with two out and Justin Smoak due up.
Rangers 3, Mariners 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 25 11:24 PM
- David Murphy double to right scored Jurickson Profar and Elvis Andrus. Runner on second with two out and Lance Berkman due up.
Rangers 3, Mariners 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 25 10:47 PM
- Jurickson Profar single to right scored Mitch Moreland. On the play, A.J. Pierzynski advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Leonys Martin due up.
Rangers 1, Mariners 0 Top 2, 0 OutsMay 25 10:41 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 25 10:10 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21