Jennings' ninth inning single sends Rays past MarlinsMay 29, 2013 - 5:41 AM St. Petersburg, FL (Sports Network) - Desmond Jennings singled home the winning run with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning, and the Tampa Bay Rays rallied to beat the Miami Marlins, 7-6.
The Rays fought back from a 4-0 deficit, only to see the Marlins go up 6-5 in the top of the eighth as Greg Dobbs delivered a two-out RBI single.
Tampa Bay pulled even in the home half of the inning, however, as a two-out base hit by Yunel Escobar plated Luke Scott.
After Fernando Rodney (2-2) shut down Miami with relative ease in the top of the ninth, Kelly Johnson and Evan Longoria hit back-to-back singles off Mike Dunn (1-1) to begin the bottom of the frame. Dunn retired the next two batters before being replaced by Chad Qualls, who gave up Jennings' game-ending hit, an opposite-field liner over a leaping first baseman.
The Rays swept the two-game interleague set at Tropicana Field. The Citrus Series will now shift to Marlins Park for games on Wednesday and Thursday.
Jennings and Scott each had three hits and scored two runs, while Tampa Bay starter Jeremy Hellickson permitted five runs on seven hits in 5 1/3 innings.
"Desmond was really big. We talked about a few things with him. It was outstanding to see the line drive down the right-field line to win the ball game," Rays manager Joe Maddon said.
Chris Coghlan had a two-run triple and a solo homer for Miami, which has dropped seven in a row. Kevin Slowey got the start for the Marlins and allowed four runs on eight hits in 5 1/3 innings.
Justin Ruggiano put Miami on the board with an RBI single in the second, and the visitors tacked on three two-out runs in the next inning. Placido Polanco kept the third alive with a single and came home on Derek Dietrich's triple. Marcell Ozuna then walked and scored along with Dietrich on Coghlan's subsequent hit.
Tampa Bay got two runs back after loading the bases in its half of the third. Matt Joyce lofted a sacrifice fly and Johnson followed with an RBI single.
The Rays produced another run on fourth-inning doubles by Jennings and Escobar, but Miami went up 5-3 when Coghlan led off the sixth with a blast to right field.
Jose Lobaton tied things up for Tampa Bay with a two-run double in the bottom of the sixth.
"Any time you get walked off three times in a road trip its tough. It wears on everyone," Marlins manager Mike Redmond said.
The Rays improved to 7-1 in interleague play this season ... Ozuna extended his hitting streak to 13 games after going 2-for-3. He scored half of Miami's runs ... Tampa Bay was 6-for-16 with runners in scoring position.
- MIAMI: 6
TAMPA BAY: 7
May 28 10:43 PM
- Desmond Jennings single to right scoring Kelly Johnson with two outs to end the game.
Marlins 6, Rays 7 Bot 9, 2 OutsMay 28 10:38 PM
- Yunel Escobar single to right scoring Luke Scott with two outs. On the play, Desmond Jennings advances to third and Yunel Escobar advances to second. Runners on second and third and Ben Zobrist due up.
Marlins 6, Rays 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 28 10:13 PM
- Greg Dobbs single to left scoring Marcell Ozuna with two outs. Runner on first and Adeiny Hechavarria due up.
Marlins 6, Rays 5 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 28 9:58 PM
- Jose Lobaton double to right scoring Luke Scott and Desmond Jennings with one out. Runner on second and Yunel Escobar due up.
Marlins 5, Rays 5 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 28 9:23 PM
- Chris Coghlan lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Justin Ruggiano due up.
Marlins 5, Rays 3 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 28 9:02 PM
- Yunel Escobar double to center scoring Desmond Jennings with two outs. Runner on second and Ben Zobrist due up.
Marlins 4, Rays 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 28 8:42 PM
- Kelly Johnson double to center scoring Yunel Escobar with one out. On the play, Ben Zobrist advances to third. Runners on second and third and Evan Longoria due up.
Marlins 4, Rays 2 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 28 8:18 PM
- Matt Joyce sacrifice fly to left scoring Jose Lobaton with one out. Runners on first and second and Kelly Johnson due up.
Marlins 4, Rays 1 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 28 8:16 PM
- Chris Coghlan triple to right scoring Derek Dietrich and Marcell Ozuna with two outs. Runner on third and Justin Ruggiano due up.
Marlins 4, Rays 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 28 8:04 PM
- Derek Dietrich triple to center scoring Placido Polanco with two outs. Runner on third and Marcell Ozuna due up.
Marlins 2, Rays 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 28 7:56 PM
- Justin Ruggiano single to left scoring Marcell Ozuna with one out. Runner on first and Greg Dobbs due up.
Marlins 1, Rays 0 Top 2, 1 OutMay 28 7:31 PM
- MIAMI: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 28 7:12 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21
- Rays-Tigers Preview May 21