Angels hang on late, beat DodgersMay 30, 2013 - 5:43 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - The LA Angels of Anaheim have played better baseball as of late and now they have their ace back.
Jered Weaver made his first home start of the season and tossed six innings of one-run ball in the Angels' 4-3 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers in the opener of a brief two-game interleague set.
Weaver (1-1), who was perfect through four frames before Andre Ethier led off the fifth with a double, threw 86 pitches, struck out seven and surrendered five hits for the Angels, who have won nine of their last 11 tilts.
A 20-game winner a year ago, Weaver fractured his left elbow during a 7-3 loss to the Texas Rangers on April 7. He went down in the sixth after dodging a line drive back toward the mound, landed awkwardly on the elbow and was placed on the disabled list the following day.
"It's been a long road and a lot of frustrating times. Give it to our training staff for putting up with me for six weeks," Weaver said. "Everything felt great, my location was good and the offense took care of the rest."
Mark Trumbo smacked a two-run homer and added a sacrifice fly, while Erick Aybar tallied three hits and an RBI in the triumph.
Ernesto Frieri gave up two solo homers in the ninth, but worked around them to notch his 11th save of the year.
Chris Capuano (1-4) allowed three runs on six hits and four walks over 5 2/3 innings for the Dodgers, who swept the first two-game series of the home-and- home set in Los Angeles.
Matt Kemp exited the contest in the seventh due to a mild hamstring strain.
"I think it was on Trout's hit in the gap, he pulled up a little. He'll have an MRI tomorrow," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said.
The game was tied at 1-1 after the Dodgers tied it in the top of the fifth, but the Halos answered with two in the home half and pushed across another in the seventh.
After Albert Pujols worked a two-out walk, Trumbo belted a shot onto the grass in left center. Trumbo's fly to plate Mike Trout two innings later increased the margin to 4-1.
Earlier, Aybar's RBI double got the Angels on the board in the second, but Skip Schumaker's two-out, run-scoring bloop single in the fifth knotted the contest.
Adrian Gonzalez led off the ninth with a blast into the seats in right and Scott Van Slyke smached a two-out shot, but Schumaker flew out to left to end the game.
Trumbo has 12 homers and 37 RBI on the season ... The Angels were 2-for-9 with runners in scoring position, while the Dodgers finished 2-for-5 with RISP.
- LOS ANGELES: 3
LOS ANGELES: 4
May 30 12:59 AM
- Scott Van Slyke two-out, solo Home Run (4) to left. Skip Schumaker due up.
Dodgers 3, Angels 4 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 30 12:58 AM
- Adrian Gonzalez lead-off Home Run (7) to right. Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 2, Angels 4 Top 9, 0 OutsMay 30 12:50 AM
- Mark Trumbo sacrifice fly to left scored Mike Trout. Runner on first with one out and Josh Hamilton due up.
Dodgers 1, Angels 4 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 30 12:24 AM
- Mark Trumbo two-out, two-run Home Run (12) to left scored Albert Pujols. Josh Hamilton due up.
Dodgers 1, Angels 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 29 11:44 PM
- Skip Schumaker single to center scored Andre Ethier. Runner on first with two outs and A.J. Ellis due up.
Dodgers 1, Angels 1 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 29 11:29 PM
- Erick Aybar double to center scored Chris Iannetta. Runner on second with two outs and Mike Trout due up.
Dodgers 0, Angels 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 29 10:47 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 29 10:10 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22