Angels slip past DodgersMay 31, 2013 - 5:39 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Chris Nelson's infield single sixth inning drove in the go-ahead run to lift the LA Angels of Anaheim to a 3-2 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers on Thursday.
Nelson finished the game 2-for-4 and Howie Kendrick went 2-for-4 with a double and a triple and also scored all three runs for the Angels, who won the final two games of a home-and-home Freeway Series set.
Jason Vargas (5-3) allowed two runs on five hits and struck out six over seven innings to win his fourth straight start. The win caps a tremendous month for Vargas, who went 5-0 with a 2.30 earned run average over six starts in May.
"I was able to get ahead early with my fastball, which set up my change up. It was just one of those nights. Our guys made great plays," Vargas said.
Ernesto Frieri stranded a runner in the ninth to pick up his 12th save of the season.
Ramon Hernandez hit a solo homer and Adrian Gonzalez added an RBI for the Dodgers, losers in three of their last five games.
Ted Lilly (0-2) was tagged for three runs on five hits over 5 2/3 innings to absorb the loss.
"Ted threw the ball well and gave us a chance to win. We had chances, but we didn't get it done," said Dodgers manager Don Mattingly.
Earlier on Thursday, the Dodgers announced that outfielder Matt Kemp had been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a right hamstring strain. Kemp was batting .251 with two home runs and 17 RBI over 51 games this season. He missed 51 games last season because of an injured left hamstring.
Gonzalez's sacrifice fly in the first inning gave the Dodgers an early 1-0 lead. Carl Crawford opened the game with a triple before Gonzalez lifted a fly ball to deep left field.
The Halos knotted things up in the second inning. Kendrick grounded into a fielder's choice before coming around on Chris Iannetta's double off the fence in center.
The Angels took the lead in the fourth as Alberto Callaspo dropped a bloop single into center field to score Kendrick, who reached on a triple.
Hernandez crushed Vargas' first pitch in the fifth inning over the left field wall to tie the game.
In the sixth, Kendrick doubled and Iannetta walked to put two on with two outs. Nelson cued a grounder up the middle that was deflected by reliever Ronald Belisario. The ball bounced to second baseman Mark Ellis, but he had no chance to make an out.
Frieri, who gave up a pair of homers in the ninth inning on Wednesday before retiring the side to close the game, surrendered a leadoff single to Jerry Hairston, but was able to retire the next three hitters to lock down the win for the Halos.
Angels outfielder Josh Hamilton was a late scratch from the lineup with back spasms ... The Angels have won a season-high six straight home games ... The Angels are 21-1 when leading after eight innings this season ... In addition to placing Kemp on the DL, the Dodgers recalled catcher Tim Federowicz from Triple-A Albuquerque and reinstated right-handed pitcher Stephen Fife from the 15-day disabled list and optioned him to Albuquerque.
- LOS ANGELES: 2
LOS ANGELES: 3
May 31 12:53 AM
- Chris Nelson singled in Howie Kendrick with two outs. On the play, Chris Iannetta advances to second. Runners on first and second with J.B. Shuck due up.
Dodgers 2, Angels 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 30 11:57 PM
- Ramon Hernandez lead-off Home Run (2) to left. Nick Punto due up.
Dodgers 2, Angels 2 Top 5, 0 OutsMay 30 11:18 PM
- Alberto Callaspo singled in Howie Kendrick with two outs. Runner on first with Chris Iannetta due up.
Dodgers 1, Angels 2 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 30 11:10 PM
- Chris Iannetta doubled in Howie Kendrick with two outs. Runner on second with Chris Nelson due up.
Dodgers 1, Angels 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 30 10:40 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez sacrifice fly to left scored Carl Crawford with two out. None on with two outs and Scott Van Slyke due up.
Dodgers 1, Angels 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 30 10:12 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 30 10:08 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22