Davis helps Jays edge White Sox in extrasJun 12, 2013 - 5:58 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Jose Bautista's homer tied the game in the ninth inning and Rajai Davis scored the go-ahead run on a Ramon Troncoso wild pitch in the 10th to vault the Toronto Blue Jays past the Chicago White Sox, 7-5, in the middle test of a three-game set at U.S. Cellular Field.
With two outs in the ninth, Bautista fell behind 1-2, but launched Addison Reed's hanging slider over the wall in left field to tie the game.
After Brett Cecil (2-0) worked a perfect ninth inning, Davis led off the 10th with a base hit to left field and promptly swiped second base. Adam Lind followed with a fly ball to right field to move Davis to third before Troncoso (0-1) bounced a sinker to the backstop.
Later in the inning, Maicer Izturis singled then scored on Munenori Kawasaki's double to give Toronto a two-run edge. Kawasaki laced a line drive to the left-field corner and Alexei Ramirez fired the relay throw to the plate, but catcher Tyler Flowers couldn't hold on to the ball as Izturis slid into him.
"I never had it. It was a tweener hop so I had a choice to catch the tweener hop or make the higher percentage play and shorten the hop," Flowers said. "Shortening the hop shortens the distance from the runner, it just speeds things up. I never had a grip on it and when he hit me it just came out."
Casey Janssen recorded the first two outs in the bottom of the 10th before giving up a base hit and a walk to put two on, but was able to get Adam Dunn to ground out to secure his 13th save of the season.
Chien-Ming Wang made his debut for Toronto. He allowed five runs on 10 hits and three walks while striking out three over 7 1/3 innings. Wang was granted his release from the New York Yankees late last week and officially signed with the Blue Jays on Tuesday.
"The game could have went either way, but he settled in and started the changing the way he was approaching their guys and that made all the difference," said Blue Jays manager John Gibbons.
Toronto scored a pair of runs in the second to take an early lead. With runners at second and third, Jose Quintana delivered a wild pitch that allowed Mark DeRosa to score. Izturis added a base hit to center to bring Adam Lind around.
Dunn cracked a solo homer, his third of the series, to make it 2-1 and the White Sox added four more runs in the fourth.
With two on and two outs, Dayan Viciedo cracked a base hit to center to score Alex Rios. Conor Gillaspie followed with a three-run shot to give Chicago a 5-2 lead.
Toronto answered back in the fifth inning to pull within one run. Melky Cabrera doubled before Edwin Encarnacion drilled a two-run homer to left to make it 5-4.
The Blue Jays had a chance to do damage in the eighth after putting runners on the corners with no outs. Chicago reliever Matt Thornton was able to get out of the jam, however. After striking out J.P. Arencibia, Thornton was able to get Izturis to ground into an inning-ending 6-4-3 double play.
Bautista went 10 games without a homer entering the series, but has three four-baggers in the past two games ... To make room for Wang on the active roster, Toronto designated infielder Andy LaRoche for assignment ... Lind, who went 3-for-5, has hit safely in 14 of his last 15 starts dating back to May 23 ... The White Sox had a three-game winning streak snapped ... Quintana gave up four runs -- two earned -- on six hits over 6 1/3 innings.
- TORONTO: 7
Jun 11 11:30 PM
- Maicer Izturis scores on Tyler Flowers's missed catch error. Munenori Kawasaki doubled to left, advances to third on the throw. Runner on third with two outs and Melky Cabrera due up.
Blue Jays 7, White Sox 5 Top 10, 2 OutsJun 11 11:19 PM
- Rajai Davis scores on a wild pitch by Ramon Troncoso with one out. None on with one out and J.P. Arencibia at the plate.
Blue Jays 6, White Sox 5 Top 10, 1 OutJun 11 11:12 PM
- Jose Bautista two-out, solo Home Run (15) to left. Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Blue Jays 5, White Sox 5 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 11 10:50 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion two-out, two-run Home Run (18) to left scored Melky Cabrera. Mark DeRosa due up.
Blue Jays 4, White Sox 5 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 11 9:31 PM
- Conor Gillaspie two-out, three-run Home Run (4) to right center scored Adam Dunn and Dayan Viciedo. Gordon Beckham due up.
Blue Jays 2, White Sox 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 11 9:21 PM
- Dayan Viciedo single to center scored Alex Rios with two outs. On the play, Adam Dunn advances to third. Runners on first and third and Conor Gillaspie due up.
Blue Jays 2, White Sox 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 11 9:19 PM
- Adam Dunn one-out, solo Home Run (17) to right center. Dayan Viciedo due up.
Blue Jays 2, White Sox 1 Bot 2, 1 OutJun 11 8:43 PM
- Maicer Izturis single to center scored Adam Lind with two outs. Runner on first and Munenori Kawasaki due up.
Blue Jays 2, White Sox 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 11 8:35 PM
- Mark DeRosa scored on a passed ball with one out. Adam Lind advances to third on a passed ball. Runner on third and J.P. Arencibia at the plate.
Blue Jays 1, White Sox 0 Top 2, 1 OutJun 11 8:30 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 11 8:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22