Norris, Colon lift Athletics over YankeesJun 12, 2013 - 7:24 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - Derek Norris hit a three-run home run and drove in four as the Oakland Athletics took a 6-4 win over the New York Yankees to open a three-game set.
Coco Crisp added a solo homer while Nate Freiman went 3-for-4 with a run scored for the Athletics, who snapped a two-game skid. Bartolo Colon (8-2) won his fifth straight start as he gave up just three hits and walked a season- high four batters with three strikeouts over six innings.
"At the end of the day he goes six innings and doesn't give up any runs," A's manager Bob Melvin said of Colon. "It's probably not his best stuff of the year, but six innings, no runs is still pretty good."
Mark Teixeira drove in three runs while Vernon Wells also drove in a run for the Yankees, who came into the game having won six of seven. CC Sabathia (6-5) allowed six runs on eight hits over six innings to snap a two-start winning streak.
"I just felt like everything was flat...no really life on the fastball," Sabathia admitted. "It's up to me to go out there and battle and try to keep us in the game and I couldn't do that today."
Oakland got on board in the first as Crisp led off the game with his eighth homer of the year, and Norris doubled home Josh Reddick, who reached base on a fielder's choice, in the second for a 2-0 lead.
In the fourth, Freiman and Chris Young hit consecutive singles and Derek Norris cleared the bags with a shot over the left-center wall to take a 5-0 lead.
A wild pitch from Sabathia in the sixth plated Josh Donaldson for a 6-0 advantage.
New York left the bags loaded in the first, but didn't get a runner past second again until the eighth inning.
With Jerry Blevins on the mound, Brett Gardner and Robinson Cano singled before Mark Teixeira singled for the first run. Later in the frame, Wells singled home Cano to make it a 6-2 game.
Ryan Cook took the mound and got Ichiro Suzuki to groundout and end the frame.
Cook allowed a one-out single to Chris Stewart and a two-out double to Cano in the ninth and that brought out Grant Balfour, who was greeted by a Teixeira single to make it a two-run game.
Travis Hafner then drilled a pitch to deep left-center field, but Seth Smith made the catch at the wall to end the game and give Balfour his 16th save of the season.
Oakland left fielder Yoenis Cespedes left the game after two innings due to tweaking his left hamstring ... Oakland took two of three in New York in early May ... Colon improved to 5-7 over 17 games against the Yankees ... Sabathia fell to 8-10 in 27 starts against the A's.
- NEW YORK: 4
Jun 12 1:14 AM
- Mark Teixeira single to right scored Chris Stewart and Robinson Cano with two outs. Runner on first and Travis Hafner due up.
Yankees 4, Athletics 6 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 12 1:11 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Vernon Wells single to left scored Robinson Cano with two outs. On the play, Kevin Youkilis advances to second. Runners on first and second and Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Yankees 2, Athletics 6 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 12 12:43 AM
- Mark Teixeira single to center scored Brett Gardner with none out. On the play, Robinson Cano advances to second. Runners on first and second and Travis Hafner due up.
Yankees 1, Athletics 6 Top 8, 0 OutsJun 12 12:35 AM
- Chris Young walked, and Josh Donaldson scored on a C.C. Sabathia wild pitch with one out. Runner on first and Josh Reddick due up.
Yankees 0, Athletics 6 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 12 12:02 AM
- Derek Norris two-out, three-run Home Run (3) to left center scored Nate Freiman and Chris Young. Adam Rosales due up.
Yankees 0, Athletics 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 11 11:25 PM
- Derek Norris pop double to right scored Josh Reddick with two outs. Runner on second and Adam Rosales due up.
Yankees 0, Athletics 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 11 10:46 PM
- Coco Crisp lead-off Home Run (8) to left. Jed Lowrie due up.
Yankees 0, Athletics 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJun 11 10:24 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 11 10:07 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21
- Tanaka helps Yankees beat A's for 4th straight win May 21