Doumit's clutch hit sends Twins past ChiSoxJun 19, 2013 - 7:37 AM Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - Ryan Doumit delivered a go-ahead two-out, two-run double in the eighth inning to help the Minnesota Twins beat the Chicago White Sox, 7-5, in the opener of a three-game set at Target Field.
After Clete Thomas drew a walk and Joe Mauer singled, Doumit doubled to center off Ramon Troncoso (0-2) to bring in the winning run.
"It was nice to be the guy who came up with the big hit," Doumit said. "Hats off to Clete and Joe for getting on base there. So it was a good team win."
Mauer finished 3-for-5 with a home run, double and two RBI while Trevor Plouffe contributed two runs driven in as well.
Jared Burton (1-4) allowed Chicago to tie the game in the eighth but picked up the win. Glen Perkins earned his 17th save of the season facing the minimum in the ninth.
Paul Konerko went 4-for-4 and Conor Gillaspie hit a two-run homer for the White Sox, who have dropped 13 of their last 15 on the road since May 18.
"If you broke it all down, it was pretty even, it was just the one hit there at the end that did it," Konerko said. "Everything was even probably besides that."
Twins starter Mike Pelfrey surrendered four runs on 10 hits over six-plus frames. He is winless in his last eight outings.
Thomas reached on a throwing error by Gordon Beckham to start off the bottom of the first. Mauer followed up by crushing a fastball over the left field wall to give the Twins an early 2-0 lead. After a Josh Willingham single and a Justin Morneau line drive double to left, Oswaldo Arcia was walked to load the bases. Plouffe delivered a two-run single to increase the cushion to four.
The White Sox answered in the second with a two-run shot of their own from Gillaspie, following a Konerko double, to cut the deficit to two.
Beckham singled and Tyler Flowers doubled with one out in the fifth. Beckham crossed the plate on Alejandro De Aza's fielder's choice. On the play, Flowers was caught turning too far off third.
Brian Dozier doubled to left in the sixth and was driven in by a Pedro Florimon line drive to right for a 5-3 Twins lead.
Dayan Viciedo and Beckham hit back-to-back singles to begin the seventh inning with Viciedo advancing to third on center fielder Thomas' throwing error. Flowers hit a sacrifice fly to center to make it a one-run game.
The eighth inning started with an Alex Rios walk, who then stole second. After an Adam Dunn strike out, Konerko drove a ball up the middle to score Rios and tie the game at 5-5.
Mauer tied Corey Koskie for 14th on Twins all-time home run list (101) ... The White Sox were 3-for-8 with runners in scoring position ... White Sox starter Dylan Axelrod surrendered five runs -- four earned -- on ten hits over six frames ... Thomas made his first error of the year in the seventh inning.
- CHICAGO: 5
Jun 18 11:09 PM
- Ryan Doumit double to center scored Clete Thomas and Joe Mauer. Runner on second with two outs and Josh Willingham due up.
White Sox 5, Twins 7 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 18 10:59 PM
- Paul Konerko single to center scored Alex Rios. Runner on first with one out and Conor Gillaspie due up.
White Sox 5, Twins 5 Top 8, 1 OutJun 18 10:45 PM
- Tyler Flowers sacrifice fly out to center scored Dayan Viciedo. Runner on second with one out and Alejandro De Aza due up.
White Sox 4, Twins 5 Top 7, 1 OutJun 18 10:11 PM
- Pedro Florimon single to right scored Brian Dozier. Runner on first with one out and Clete Thomas due up.
White Sox 3, Twins 5 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 18 9:56 PM
- Alejandro De Aza grounded into a fielder's choice, short to short scored Gordon Beckham. On the play, Tyler Flowers out at third. Runner on second with two outs and Alexei Ramirez due up.
White Sox 3, Twins 4 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 18 9:33 PM
- Conor Gillaspie one-out, two-run Home Run (5) to right scored Paul Konerko. Dayan Viciedo due up.
White Sox 2, Twins 4 Top 2, 1 OutJun 18 8:44 PM
- Trevor Plouffe singledto center scored Josh Willingham and Justin Morneau. On the play, Oswaldo Arcia advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Brian Dozier due up.
White Sox 0, Twins 4 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 18 8:30 PM
- Joe Mauer none-out, two-run Home Run (7) to left scored Clete Thomas. Ryan Doumit due up.
White Sox 0, Twins 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsJun 18 8:20 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 18 8:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22