Davis homers twice as Orioles rout TigersJun 20, 2013 - 12:04 AM Detroit, MI (Sports Network) - Chris Davis' two home runs and five RBI helped the Baltimore Orioles coast to a 13-3 blowout win over the Detroit Tigers in the rubber match of a three-game series.
Davis registered his fourth and fifth RBI of the day on a two-run homer in the ninth inning, while Chris Tillman (8-2) allowed three runs on seven hits and three walks with one strikeout in five innings of work.
The Orioles had 17 hits in the series finale and have now won eight of their last 11 games.
"This is a tough place to come in and win a series," Davis said. "Their pitching staff and lineup, they're obviously one of the best teams in the AL."
Taylor Teagarden's three-run homer in the fourth inning made it difficult for Rick Porcello and the Tigers to mount a comeback. Porcello (4-4) had won his previous two starts, but gave up six runs on nine hits and two home runs in six innings to earn the loss.
Detroit's Matt Tuiasosopo hit a pinch-hit, two-run double in the sixth inning. The Tigers have now lost three of their last five games.
Davis opened the scoring with a two-run homer in the top of the fourth inning, during which the Orioles put up six runs. Teagarden's three-run shot came later in the frame, with Manny Machado adding to the lead with an RBI single that drove in Nate McLouth from second.
"Most starts you're going to have those innings where you get into a little bit of trouble," Porcello said. "It's kind of a defining inning. You've got to rise to the occasion and get out of a jam."
Porcello retired seven straight batters after Baltimore's offensive outburst, and Omar Infante's RBI double brought home Jhonny Peralta in the bottom of the fourth to get Detroit on the board. Tuiasosopo cut the lead to 6-3 with his pinch-hit double in the sixth.
The Orioles then exploded for three runs in the seventh inning and four more in the ninth.
In the seventh, Adam Jones' infield single scored McLouth and moved Machado to third. Davis then hit a ground-rule double on a line drive down the right- field line to score Machado from third.
In addition to Davis' home run in the ninth, Jones doubled to score Machado and Nick Markakis.
The Baltimore bullpen only gave up four hits over the final four innings to ensure a victory for Tillman, who exited the game after allowing the first two batters to reach in the bottom of the sixth.
Baltimore's six-run fourth ties their season-high for runs in an inning, having also done so on May 17th against Tampa Bay and May 29th against Washington ...The Tigers and Orioles are ranked first and second, respectively, in batting average in the AL...The Orioles won the season series against the Tigers, 4-2.
- KingHockeyMan Tigers got slapped at ho,. Orioles are a damn good team too. Ask the .BoSox. Won 1 of 4 this past weekend. My buddy behind my bask played a whole weeks of baseball games. Every single one. He did it was week too. Here I am thinking I picked them & forgot. I we all have our moments. He is now officially a Gelding"..lol...PEACE!
Orioles 13, Tigers 3 FinalJun 19 5:07 PM
- BALTIMORE: 13
Jun 19 4:23 PM
- Chris Davis none-out, two-run Home Run 2 (26) to right scored Adam Jones. J.J. Hardy due up.
Orioles 13, Tigers 3 Top 9, 0 OutsJun 19 4:07 PM
- Adam Jones double to right scored Manny Machado and Nick Markakis. Runner on second with none out and Chris Davis due up.
Orioles 11, Tigers 3 Top 9, 0 OutsJun 19 4:05 PM
- J.J. Hardy sacrifice fly to center scored Adam Jones. Runner on second with two outs and Travis Ishikawa due up.
Orioles 9, Tigers 3 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 19 3:31 PM
- Chris Davis ground-rule double to right scored Manny Machado. On the play, Adam Jones advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and J.J. Hardy due up.
Orioles 8, Tigers 3 Top 7, 1 OutJun 19 3:29 PM
- Adam Jones infield single to short scored Nate McLouth. On the play, Manny Machado advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Chris Davis due up.
Orioles 7, Tigers 3 Top 7, 1 OutJun 19 3:28 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Matt Tuiasosopo double to left scored Victor Martinez and Jhonny Peralta. Runner on second with none out and Omar Infante due up.
Orioles 6, Tigers 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsJun 19 3:06 PM
- Omar Infante double to left scored Jhonny Peralta. Runner on second with one out and Bryan Holaday due up.
Orioles 6, Tigers 1 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 19 2:28 PM
- Manny Machado single to left scored Nate McLouth. Runner on first with two outs and Nick Markakis due up.
Orioles 6, Tigers 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 19 2:21 PM
- Taylor Teagarden two-out, three-run Home Run (1) to left scored J.J. Hardy and Ryan Flaherty. Nate McLouth due up.
Orioles 5, Tigers 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 19 2:20 PM
- Chris Davis one-out, two-run Home Run (25) to left scored Nick Markakis. J.J. Hardy due up.
Orioles 2, Tigers 0 Top 4, 1 OutJun 19 2:20 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 19 2:16 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22