Lind, Jays sweep Rockies for eighth straight winJun 20, 2013 - 5:03 AM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - Adam Lind hit a three-run home run and the Toronto Blue Jays swept a three-game series against the Colorado Rockies with a 5-2 victory on Wednesday.
Emilio Bonifacio and Melky Cabrera drove in one run apiece for Toronto, which saw starter Mark Buehrle (4-4) allow two runs on eight hits and a walk over five frames.
The Blue Jays are on an eight-game winning streak and have won 11 of their last 13 games.
"We're getting the job done right now and hopefully we'll continue," said Lind. "Everyone protects everybody and the more times we can get through the order, the more times we see what that pitcher has."
Carlos Gonzalez hit a solo home run and Yorvit Torrealba went 2-for-4 with an RBI for the Rockies. Starter Juan Nicasio (4-3) also lasted five innings, giving up four runs -- two earned -- on four hits and one walk.
"We're just to go and play a different series with a different team," said Gonzalez. "Try to do the same thing we've been doing since day one and that's win games. Forget about what's happened to you and what's around you."
Lind's smash came in the first after Jose Bautista was safe at first on a throwing error by Nolan Arenado and Edwin Encarnacion delivered a single to right.
The Rockies responded in the second. Jordan Pacheco ripped a leadoff double to left and scored on a single by Torrealba two batters later.
Colby Rasmus drew a walk to begin the fourth and Maicer Izturis was able to make it to first when DJ LeMahieu was unable to make a catch. With runners on the corners, Bonifacio grounded into a fielder's choice to plate a run.
Gonzalez crushed a 2-0 pitch to start the fifth. Colorado had an opportunity to score more after putting runners at the corners with two outs. However, Tyler Colvin struck out swinging to end the inning.
Toronto added one more run in the seventh. With Rob Scahill pitching for the Rockies, Munenori Kawasaki knocked a triple to right with one out and scored on a single by Cabrera.
Cabrera was then replaced by pinch-runner Rajai Davis, who stole second base and reached third after Bautista grounded out. After Encarnacion was hit by a pitch, Josh Outman replaced Scahill and got Lind to fly out to end the frame.
Casey Janssen pitched in the ninth for Toronto. He gave up a two-out double to Gonzalez, but got Michael Cuddyer to ground out for his 16th save of the season.
Cuddyer went 1-for-5. He has reached base safely in 36 consecutive games, dating back to April 23 ... Lind's homer passed Fred McGriff for ninth-most in franchise history ... Brett Cecil pitched a hitless seventh. He has gone 37 batters without allowing a hit, topping a Jays record set by David Cone in 1995 ... These two teams have played in five series all-time, with each of them resulting in a sweep. Toronto is 9-0 at Rogers Centre but 0-6 at Coors Field.
- COLORADO: 2
Jun 19 10:05 PM
- Melky Cabrera singled to right scored Munenori Kawasaki. Runner on first with one out and Jose Bautista due up.
Rockies 2, Blue Jays 5 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 19 9:25 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez lead-off Home Run (21) to right. Michael Cuddyer due up.
Rockies 2, Blue Jays 4 Top 5, 0 OutsJun 19 8:33 PM
- Emilio Bonifacio grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Colby Rasmus. Maicer Izturis out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Munenori Kawasaki due up.
Rockies 1, Blue Jays 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 19 8:24 PM
- Yorvit Torrealba singled to left scored Jordan Pacheco. Runner on first with one out and Josh Rutledge due up.
Rockies 1, Blue Jays 3 Top 2, 1 OutJun 19 7:32 PM
- Adam Lind one-out, three-run Home Run (9) to right scored Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion. Colby Rasmus due up.
Rockies 0, Blue Jays 3 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 19 7:25 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 19 7:09 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21