Peralta's 9th-inning HR sends Tigers past Red SoxJun 21, 2013 - 2:43 AM Detroit, MI (Sports Network) - Jhonny Peralta's two-run blast in the bottom of the ninth inning lifted Detroit over Boston, 4-3, in the opener of a four-game series between AL division leaders.
Andrew Bailey (3-1) entered with a 3-2 lead, but issued a leadoff walk to Victor Martinez and, after Don Kelly was inserted as a pinch runner, Peralta launched a ball just over the wall in left to end the game.
Drew Smyly (3-0) tossed two scoreless frames of relief, fanning four and allowing just one hit.
Torii Hunter contributed a two-run hit for the Tigers, who snapped a two-game slide.
David Ortiz homered and knocked in two runs for the Red Sox, who have dropped two in a row.
Ortiz began the third and kicked off the scoring with his 15th homer of the season, and Jose Iglesias started the fifth with a triple and scored on a Jacoby Ellsbury single to make it 2-0 for the top team in the AL East.
Detroit evened the score in the home half on Hunter's two-out, two-run single. Andy Dirks walked with one out, then Brayan Pena and Austin Jackson both singled with two down to load the bases prior to the scoring hit.
Phil Coke walked both Shane Victorino and Dustin Pedroia to begin the eighth, then served up a base hit from Ortiz that gave the Sox a 3-2 advantage. Smyly came on to get the next two batters, then plunked Ryan Lavarnway to load the bases before getting Will Middlebrooks on a fly to right.
Smyly stranded Victorino in scoring position in the ninth after the Boston outfielder doubled with two down and stole third.
The Tigers have won five in a row over the Red Sox at Comerica since May of 2011 ... Detroit starter Jose Alvarez, recalled prior to the game from Triple- A Toledo, gave up two runs and five hits over five innings, while Boston hurler John Lackey lasted seven full frames and allowed seven hits with a pair of runs ... To make room for Alvarez, the Tigers optioned outfielder Avisail Garcia to Toledo.
- BOSTON: 3
Jun 20 10:05 PM
- Jhonny Peralta none-out, two-run Home Run (7) to left scored Don Kelly to win the game.
Red Sox 3, Tigers 4 Bot 9, 0 OutsJun 20 10:02 PM
- David Ortiz single to right scored Shane Victorino with none out. On the play, Dustin Pedroia advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Mike Napoli due up.
Red Sox 3, Tigers 2 Top 8, 0 OutsJun 20 9:26 PM
- Torii Hunter single to right scored Andy Dirks and Brayan Pena with two out. On the play, Austin Jackson advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Miguel Cabrera due up.
Red Sox 2, Tigers 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 20 8:42 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury single to center scored Jose Iglesias with none out. Runner on first with none out and Shane Victorino due up.
Red Sox 2, Tigers 0 Top 5, 0 OutsJun 20 8:24 PM
- David Ortiz lead-off Home Run (15) to right. Mike Napoli due up.
Red Sox 1, Tigers 0 Top 4, 0 OutsJun 20 8:00 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 20 7:08 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22