Twins top Indians to avert sweepJun 23, 2013 - 9:48 PM Cleveland, OH (Sports Network) - Oswaldo Arcia and Josh Willingham each knocked in two runs and the Minnesota Twins held off the Cleveland Indians, 5-3, to avoid a three-game series sweep.
Trevor Plouffe had one RBI for the Twins, who had 12 hits.
Pedro Hernandez (3-1) got the start for Minnesota due to Mike Pelfrey being placed on the 15-day disabled list prior to the game. He allowed two runs on three hits while walking six over five innings.
Drew Stubbs hit a solo homer for the Indians, who had a four-game winning streak snapped. Jason Kipnis and Yan Gomes added an RBI apiece.
Cleveland starter Carlos Carrasco (0-3) gave up three runs on six hits while walking four over 4 2/3 innings.
The Twins got on the board in the first inning. Joe Mauer doubled down the left-field line, moved to third on a wild pitch and scored on Willingham's single to left.
Cleveland scored one run in the second and third frames to take the lead. Mark Reynolds, Carlos Santana and Ryan Raburn worked three straight walks to start the second. Gomes' sacrifice fly tied the game. Hernandez, however, retired the next two batters to limit the damage.
Mike Aviles walked to begin the third and raced home on Kipnis' double off the wall in left-center field.
Minnesota scored a pair of runs in the fifth to take the lead back. Clete Thomas singled and Mauer walked. Following two quick outs, Arcia and Plouffe hit consecutive RBI singles to make it 3-2 Twins.
The Twins tacked on another run in the seventh. Mauer singled, advanced to second on a wild pitch, moved to third on Ryan Doumit's infield single and raced home on Willingham's base hit to left.
Stubbs led off the bottom half of the frame with a homer, cutting the gap to 4-3. Stubbs, however, grounded out with runners on the corners and two outs in the eighth.
Minnesota tacked on an insurance run in the ninth. Ryan Doumit singled and scored on Arcia's two-out double to left.
Glen Perkins worked around a two-out double in the ninth to pick up his 19th save of the season.
The Indians fell to 4-2 against the Twins this season ... Cleveland first baseman Nick Swisher returned to the lineup after missing six games with a sore left shoulder. He went 0-for-5 ... Pelfrey landed on the DL with a back strain ... Hernandez was recalled from Triple-A Rochester prior to the game ... The Twins had homered in seven straight games.
- MINNESOTA: 5
Jun 23 5:34 PM
- Oswaldo Arcia double to left scored Ryan Doumit with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Trevor Plouffe due up.
Twins 5, Indians 3 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 23 5:28 PM
- Drew Stubbs lead-off Home Run (6) to left. Michael Bourn due up.
Twins 4, Indians 3 Bot 7, 0 OutsJun 23 3:49 PM
- Josh Willingham single to left scored Joe Mauer with none out. On the play, Ryan Doumit advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Oswaldo Arcia due up.
Twins 4, Indians 2 Top 7, 0 OutsJun 23 3:37 PM
- Trevor Plouffe single to left scored Joe Mauer with two out. On the play, Oswaldo Arcia advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Chris Parmelee due up.
Twins 3, Indians 2 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 23 2:54 PM
- Oswaldo Arcia single to center scored Clete Thomas with two out. On the play, Joe Mauer advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Trevor Plouffe due up.
Twins 2, Indians 2 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 23 2:53 PM
- Jason Kipnis double to left center scored Mike Aviles with none out. Runner on second with none out and Nick Swisher due up.
Twins 1, Indians 2 Bot 3, 0 OutsJun 23 2:19 PM
- Yan Gomes sacrifice fly to left scored Mark Reynolds with one out. Runners on first and second with one out and Drew Stubbs due up.
Twins 1, Indians 1 Bot 2, 1 OutJun 23 1:59 PM
- Josh Willingham single to left scored Joe Mauer with one out. On the play, Ryan Doumit advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Oswaldo Arcia due up.
Twins 1, Indians 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 23 1:14 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 23 1:06 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21