Brantley has big night in Indians' win over O'sJun 25, 2013 - 4:21 AM Baltimore, MD (Sports Network) - Michael Brantley had four RBI to help lift the Cleveland Indians over the Baltimore Orioles, 5-2, in the opener of a four-game set at Camden Yards.
Brantley finished 2-for-4 with a two-run homer, while Nick Swisher also collected two hits along with an RBI for the Indians, who have won nine of their last 12.
Ubaldo Jimenez (6-4) lasted 5 1/3 innings for Cleveland, yielding two runs on eight hits while fanning six. He has allowed just two runs or less in nine of his last 11 outings and now has a 4-1 record in road starts.
"We beat a very good team," Indians manager Terry Francona said. "It's one of the best lineups we've seen yet this year. Ubaldo navigated his way through. Our bullpen was phenomenal."
Zach Britton (1-2), making his third start of the season, surrendered three runs on six hits and three walks with five strikeouts in five frames to take the loss.
Nick Markakis and Matt Wieters each had solo homers for the Orioles, losers of four straight.
The O's jumped out to an early 1-0 lead after Markakis had a two-out home run to dead center in the first.
Wieters led off the fourth inning with a shot almost identical to Markakis' blast to make it a two-run game.
Britton was in full control until the sixth inning came around.
With the Indians trailing, 2-0, Jason Kipnis doubled to the right field corner to begin the frame. Swisher followed that up with a single up the middle to score Kipnis. Carlos Santana's line drive double put runners on second and third and Mark Reynolds was intentionally walked to load the bases for Brantley, who delivered a two-run single to center that put Cleveland in front, 3-2.
Tommy Hunter relieved Britton and escaped the inning with no more damage done, putting down three straight batters.
"We would have liked to keep it at 3-2 but we weren't able to," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said. "If our starters can't go far into the game than our bullpen can't get much rest."
After a Reynolds single in the eighth, Brantley smashed a ball over the right field wall off Darren O'Day to give Cleveland a three-run cushion.
Vinnie Pestano allowed the tying run to come to the plate in the ninth but was able to get Manny Machado to line out to end the game and collect his fourth save of the year.
The Orioles optioned Freddy Garcia to Triple-A Norfolk on Monday and recalled pitcher Kevin Gausman ... Cleveland improved to 7-17 against teams from the A.L. East this season ... Baltimore finished 1-for-5 with runners in scoring position ... Kipnis has reached base safely in 26 consecutive games ... The Indians' 59 steals this season are 2nd-most in the A.L. behind Boston (60) ... Cleveland was 2-for-8 with runners in scoring position.
- CLEVELAND: 5
Jun 24 10:24 PM
- Michael Brantley none-out, two-run Home Run (5) to right scored John McDonald. Ryan Raburn due up.
Indians 5, Orioles 2 Top 8, 0 OutsJun 24 9:45 PM
- Michael Brantley single to center scored Nick Swisher and Carlos Santana. On the play, Mark Reynolds advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Ryan Raburn due up.
Indians 3, Orioles 2 Top 6, 0 OutsJun 24 8:54 PM
- Nick Swisher single to center scored Jason Kipnis. Runner on first with none out and Carlos Santana due up.
Indians 1, Orioles 2 Top 6, 0 OutsJun 24 8:48 PM
- Matt Wieters lead-off Home Run (10) to center. Travis Ishikawa due up.
Indians 0, Orioles 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 24 8:18 PM
- Nick Markakis two-out, solo Home Run (8) to center. Adam Jones due up.
Indians 0, Orioles 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 24 7:21 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 24 7:07 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21