Angels score 14 runs, top TigersJun 26, 2013 - 5:56 AM Detroit, MI (Sports Network) - J.B. Shuck went 3-for-5 and drove in a career- high four runs, and the Angels scored eight times in the fifth inning and pounded the mistake-prone Detroit Tigers, 14-8, at Comerica Park.
Josh Hamilton also had a 3-for-5 night with an RBI and scored three times. Los Angeles, which recorded 16 hits, got two RBI from Mike Trout, Hank Conger and Erick Aybar to snap a three-game skid.
The Angels, who were swept at home by the Pittsburgh Pirates over the weekend, beat the Tigers for a seventh straight time. They've outscored Detroit 48-17 in that span.
C.J. Wilson (7-5) gave up seven hits and five runs over five innings to win his third consecutive start.
"Individually I'd have to say it was one of my worst outings of the year," Wilson said.
Miguel Cabrera clubbed his 21st homer of the year, a two-run shot, but the Tigers committed six errors.
Rick Porcello (4-5) was tagged for 10 hits and seven runs over 4 1/3 innings in the opener of this three-game series.
"I did not throw the ball tonight like I had been over the course of the season," Porcello said. "I just didn't make good pitches, especially with two strikes."
The Angels, who were tied 2-2 going into the fifth, sent 12 men to the plate in the decisive inning. After Trout flied out to start the frame, the next six batters reached safely. Howie Kendrick grounded a single into center field to score Albert Pujols, who doubled to start the rally. That gave the Angels a 3-2 lead.
Hamilton followed with an RBI single to right and the throw home from Torii Hunter bounced past catcher Bryan Holaday. After Alberto Callaspo was intentionally walked to fill the bases, the Tigers went to Darin Downs out of the bullpen, but the move backfired.
Conger walked on a high 3-1 pitch and Aybar lifted a sacrifice fly to left field. Consecutive RBI singles from Shuck, Trout and Pujols extended the margin, prompting the Tigers to go to Evan Reed. Trout then came home on Reed's high pick-off throw to first base to cap the uprising.
Prince Fielder doubled in a run and scored on Victor Martinez's two-run single in the bottom of the fifth.
Shuck added a sacrifice fly in the seventh and the Angels tacked on three more in the eighth thanks to Aybar's RBI single and Shuck's two-run base hit.
Following Martinez's two-run hit, LA pitchers combined to retire 11 straight hitters until Avisail Garcia singled to center between the raindrops in the ninth. Detroit scored three times in the final inning, one on Austin Jackson's single.
Trout bounced a single over Cabrera's head at third base to drive in Shuck in the third inning, but Cabrera homered to right with Hunter aboard in the bottom half.
Conger lined a single up the middle in the fourth, scoring Hamilton, to even the score.
Before the game, the Angels acquired outfielder Collin Cowgill from the New York Mets for minor league outfielder Kyle Johnson ... Cabrera and Callaspo extended their hitting streaks to 10 games ... Porcello has given up 16 earned runs in five innings against the Angels this season ... The 14 runs were the most by the Angels this season. They went 11-for-20 with runners in scoring position ... Hunter had three of Detroit's 10 hits ... The Tigers committed six errors in a game for the first time since Sept. 11, 1982 against Boston.
- LOS ANGELES: 14
Jun 25 11:12 PM
- Don Kelly sacrifice fly out to right scored Austin Jackson with two out. Runners on first and second and Victor Martinez due up.
Angels 14, Tigers 8 Bot 9, 2 OutsJun 25 11:11 PM
- Ramon Santiago walked scoring Bryan Holaday with one out. Bases loaded with one out and Don Kelly due up.
Angels 14, Tigers 7 Bot 9, 1 OutJun 25 11:09 PM
- Austin Jackson single to left scored Avisail Garcia with one out. On the play, Bryan Holaday advances to second. Runners on first and second and Andy Dirks due up.
Angels 14, Tigers 6 Bot 9, 1 OutJun 25 11:02 PM
- J.B. Shuck single to center scored Josh Hamilton and Alberto Callaspo with two out. On the play, Erick Aybar advances to second. Runners on first and second and Mike Trout due up.
Angels 14, Tigers 5 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 25 10:25 PM
- Erick Aybar single to right scored Mark Trumbo with two out. On the play, Alberto Callaspo advances to second and Josh Hamilton advances to third. Bases loaded with two out and J.B. Shuck due up.
Angels 12, Tigers 5 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 25 10:21 PM
- J.B. Shuck sacrifice fly out to left scored Erick Aybar with one out. None on and Mike Trout due up.
Angels 11, Tigers 5 Top 7, 1 OutJun 25 9:52 PM
- Victor Martinez single to left scored Torii Hunter and Prince Fielder with two out. Runner on first and Jhonny Peralta due up.
Angels 10, Tigers 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 25 9:30 PM
- Prince Fielder double to left scored Austin Jackson with two out. On the play, Torii Hunter advances to third. Runners on second and third and Victor Martinez due up.
Angels 10, Tigers 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 25 9:27 PM
- Mike Trout scored on Evan Reed's throwing error on a pickoff attempt with two out. On the play, Albert Pujols advances to third on Evan Reed's error. Runner on third and Mark Trumbo at the plate.
Angels 10, Tigers 2 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 25 9:12 PM
- Albert Pujols single to right scored J.B. Shuck with two out. On the play, Mike Trout advances to third. Runners on first and third and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 9, Tigers 2 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 25 9:06 PM
- Mike Trout single to left scored Hank Conger with two out. On the play, J.B. Shuck advances to third. Runners on first and third and Albert Pujols due up.
Angels 8, Tigers 2 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 25 9:04 PM
- J.B. Shuck single to right scored Alberto Callaspo with two out. On the play, Hank Conger advances to third. Runners on second and third and Mike Trout due up.
Angels 7, Tigers 2 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 25 9:03 PM
- Erick Aybar sacrifice fly out to left scored Josh Hamilton with two out. Runners on first and second and J.B. Shuck due up.
Angels 6, Tigers 2 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 25 9:01 PM
- Hank Conger walked scoring Howie Kendrick with one out. Bases loaded and Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 5, Tigers 2 Top 5, 1 OutJun 25 8:59 PM
- Josh Hamilton single to right scored Mark Trumbo with one out. Josh Hamilton advances to second on Torii Hunter's throwing error. On the play, Howie Kendrick advances to third. Runners on second and third and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Angels 4, Tigers 2 Top 5, 1 OutJun 25 8:55 PM
- Howie Kendrick single to center scored Albert Pujols with one out. On the play, Mark Trumbo advances to second. Runners on first and second and Josh Hamilton due up.
Angels 3, Tigers 2 Top 5, 1 OutJun 25 8:51 PM
- Hank Conger single to center scored Josh Hamilton with two out. Runner on first and Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 2, Tigers 2 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 25 8:33 PM
- Miguel Cabrera one-out, two-run Home Run (21) to right scored Torii Hunter. Prince Fielder due up.
Angels 1, Tigers 2 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 25 8:13 PM
- Mike Trout single to left scored J.B. Shuck with one out. Runner on first with one out and Albert Pujols due up.
Angels 1, Tigers 0 Top 3, 1 OutJun 25 8:01 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 25 7:09 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22