McLouth lifts Orioles over YankeesJun 29, 2013 - 2:25 AM Baltimore, MD (Sports Network) - Nate McLouth belted the tie-breaking homer off CC Sabathia in the seventh inning to boost the Baltimore Orioles to a 4-3 win over the New York Yankees at Camden Yards.
Sabathia, who was making his 400th start and trying for his 200th win, carried a no-hitter into the sixth inning. A couple of infield dribblers resulted in hits during the frame when the Orioles tied the game.
Then with two outs in the seventh, McLouth hit a towering fly ball to right on a 1-0 pitch to give the Orioles the lead.
T.J. McFarland allowed seven hits and three runs over 2 2/3 innings in his first major league start. Kevin Gausman (1-3) picked him up by limiting the Yankees to three hits over the next 4 1/3 frames to get his first big league victory. Tommy Hunter threw the final two innings for his second career save.
Sabathia (8-6) allowed five hits and fanned six over seven frames.
Manny Machado had a two-run double and Adam Jones hit the tying single, all in the sixth inning, as the Orioles won for the third time in four contests since a four-game skid.
Robinson Cano went 3-for-5 with an RBI for the Yankees, who lost their third in a row.
McLouth singled to center to start the bottom of the sixth and Alexi Casilla followed by hitting a slow chopper to first for an infield hit. After Nick Markakis popped out, Machado split the gap in right-center to get the O's within 3-2. With two down, Jones hit a slow roller toward Sabathia, but he couldn't make the play for the final out and Machado scored.
On the at-bat prior, Machado advanced on J.J. Hardy's fly ball to center.
"We were fortunate," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said. "One of the key plays was Manny tagging and going to third. We got a couple of swinging bunts there that went our way. I'll take it."
Cano singled to right to drive in Brett Gardner, who doubled to start the game.
Vernon Wells and Chris Stewart added RBI singles in the third, but Gausman struck out David Adams to leave two runners on base.
Jones has not drawn a walk since May 18 ... Jones has gone 164 plate appearances without a free pass ... McFarland made his first major league start after making 18 relief appearances ... Joe Girardi is one win shy of 600 in his managerial career ... Baltimore leads the season series, 4-3.
- Robinson Cano grounded out third to first to end the game.
Jun 28 9:55 PM
- Nate McLouth two-out, solo Home Run (5) to right. Alexi Casilla due up.
Yankees 3, Orioles 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 28 9:28 PM
- Adam Jones single to pitcher scored Manny Machado with two outs. Runner on first and Chris Davis due up.
Yankees 3, Orioles 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 28 9:07 PM
- Manny Machado double to right center scored Nate McLouth and Alexi Casilla with one out. Runner on second and J.J. Hardy due up.
Yankees 3, Orioles 2 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 28 9:01 PM
- Chris Stewart single to center scored Robinson Cano with two outs. On the play, Zoilo Almonte advances to second. Runners on first and second and David Adams due up.
Yankees 3, Orioles 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 28 8:00 PM
- Vernon Wells single to center scored Jayson Nix with none out. On the play, Robinson Cano advances to second. Runners on first and second and Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Yankees 2, Orioles 0 Top 3, 0 OutsJun 28 7:51 PM
- Robinson Cano single to right scored Brett Gardner with one out. Runner on first and Vernon Wells due up.
Yankees 1, Orioles 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 28 7:12 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 28 7:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21