Cubs edge Mariners for series winJul 1, 2013 - 1:50 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Anthony Rizzo went 2-for-3 with two RBI and the Chicago Cubs defeated the Seattle Mariners, 7-6, in the finale of a three-game series at Safeco Field.
Alfonso Soriano also had a pair of hits and an RBI. Darwin Barney, Starlin Castro and Brian Bogusevic drove in one run apiece for the Cubs, who have won four of five.
Chicago starter Edwin Jackson (4-10) allowed three runs on seven hits over six-plus innings.
"He did what we wanted him to do today," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said of Jackson. "Six innings, gave up three and it was nice to get off and swing the bats real well."
Kyle Seager had a two-run home run while Jason Bay and Raul Ibanez each hit a solo shot. Nick Franklin drove in two runs for the Mariners, who saw starter Jeremy Bonderman (1-2) last just 3 1/3 innings, surrendering six runs -- four earned -- on six hits and two walks.
"Just never really got anything going," Bonderman said of his outing. "It was a battle all day and just not exactly what I was anticipating."
The Cubs got on the board with three runs in the second. Soriano hit a leadoff double and scored on a double to right by Rizzo. After Dioner Navarro grounded out, Bogusevic and Barney delivered back-to-back RBI doubles.
In the third, Henry Blanco singled and Endy Chavez ripped a double to left. Franklin grounded out to second to bring Blanco home.
The Mariners had an opportunity to score more with Chavez at third, but Ibanez struck out to end the inning.
The Cubs scored four runs in the fourth to widen the gap.
Barney doubled to left to begin the inning and scored after Welington Castillo hit a line drive to Seager, who was unable to make the grab. Luis Valbuena grounded out, but Castro plated Castillo with a base hit up the middle.
Blake Beavan came on in relief for the Mariners. After Nate Schierholtz flew out, Soriano smacked an RBI double to left center and scored on a single to left by Rizzo.
However, Seattle slowly clawed its way back.
Franklin hit a two-out RBI single in the fifth, scoring Brad Miller, who doubled to lead off.
Bay hammered a 3-2 slider to center to begin the seventh.
Ibanez's solo shot started the eighth. After Kendrys Morales hit an infield single, Seager smashed a 1-2 sinker that sailed into the stands in right, bringing the Mariners within one.
They had a chance to take the lead after Bay and Miller drew walks but pinch- hitter Mike Zunino fouled out and Chavez grounded out, ending the rally.
Kevin Gregg threw a 1-2-3 ninth to notch his 13th save.
Soriano had two doubles, bringing him to 21 for the season ... Ibanez has 10 home runs in June, most in the American League. He also tied his monthly career-high set with the Phillies in May 2009 and is the first Seattle player to hit 10 in one month since Edgar Martinez in May 2003 ... The Cubs hit 5-for-11 with runners in scoring position while the Mariners went 1-for-14 with RISP ... The Cubs are 10-4 against American League teams and 24-20 against teams outside their division this season.
- Kendrys Morales struck out swinging to end the game.
Jun 30 7:22 PM
- Kyle Seager none-out, two-run Home Run (11) to right scored Kendrys Morales. Justin Smoak due up.
Cubs 7, Mariners 6 Bot 8, 0 OutsJun 30 6:51 PM
- Raul Ibanez lead-off Home Run (19) to right. Kendrys Morales due up.
Cubs 7, Mariners 4 Bot 8, 0 OutsJun 30 6:46 PM
- Jason Bay lead-off Home Run (10) to left center. Brad Miller due up.
Cubs 7, Mariners 3 Bot 7, 0 OutsJun 30 6:27 PM
- Nick Franklin single to right scored Brad Miller with two out. Runner on first and Raul Ibanez due up.
Cubs 7, Mariners 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 30 5:55 PM
- Anthony Rizzo single to left scored Alfonso Soriano with two out. Runner on first and Dioner Navarro due up.
Cubs 7, Mariners 1 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 30 5:27 PM
- Alfonso Soriano double to center scored Starlin Castro with two out. Runner on second and Anthony Rizzo due up.
Cubs 6, Mariners 1 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 30 5:23 PM
- Starlin Castro single to center scored Welington Castillo with one out. Runner on first and Nate Schierholtz due up.
Cubs 5, Mariners 1 Top 4, 1 OutJun 30 5:18 PM
- Welington Castillo reached second on Kyle Seager's fielding error scored Darwin Barney with none out. Runner on second and Luis Valbuena due up.
Cubs 4, Mariners 1 Top 4, 0 OutsJun 30 5:15 PM
- Nick Franklin ground out second to first scored Henry Blanco with two out. On the play, Endy Chavez advances to third. Runner on third and Raul Ibanez due up.
Cubs 3, Mariners 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 30 5:06 PM
- Darwin Barney double to left scored Brian Bogusevic with one out. Runner on second and Welington Castillo due up.
Cubs 3, Mariners 0 Top 2, 1 OutJun 30 4:31 PM
- Brian Bogusevic double to center scored Anthony Rizzo with one out. Runner on second and Darwin Barney due up.
Cubs 2, Mariners 0 Top 2, 1 OutJun 30 4:30 PM
- Anthony Rizzo double to right scored Alfonso Soriano with none out. Runner on second and Dioner Navarro due up.
Cubs 1, Mariners 0 Top 2, 0 OutsJun 30 4:27 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 30 4:10 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21