Raburn's walk-off homer pushes Indians past RangersJul 27, 2013 - 5:39 AM Cleveland, OH (Sports Network) - Ryan Raburn ripped a game-winning three-run home run in the bottom of the 11th, as the Cleveland Indians defeated the Texas Rangers, 11-8, in the opener of a three-game set.
Asdrubal Cabrera, Michael Brantley, and Mike Aviles each had three hits for the Indians.
Cabrera and Carlos Santana started the 11th with back-to-back singles before Raburn crushed the game-winning home run to left field.
Raburn says he ignored a bunt sign prior to his homer.
"It's funny because I thought about this in the back of my mind about still doing it on my own just to move the runner over there," Raburn said. "The way I've been feeling at the plate I felt like I had better chances swinging the bat and it paid off for us."
Starter Corey Kluber was given a no-decision after allowing four runs -- three earned -- in six innings for the Indians, winners of two straight. Bryan Shaw (1-2) pitched a scoreless 11th inning and was credited with the win. He struck out one batter while allowing a hit.
Jason Frasor (0-2) was tagged with the loss after giving up the three-run homer to Raburn. The right-hander gave up three hits over two innings of work. Martin Perez, who got the start for Texas, lasted just three-plus innings after giving up seven runs -- six earned -- on eight hits.
Ian Kinsler contributed with four RBI while going 2-for-5 for the Rangers, who are now 2-6 since the All-Star break.
"I like the way we battled. We could have very easily given up in that ball game, but we didn't," Rangers manager Ron Washington said.
Nick Swisher started the scoring in the first when he crushed a one-out home run to left-center field.
The Indians added to the lead in the second. Brantley and Aviles both singled to put men on first and second before a wild pitch moved them up a base. Perez threw another wild pitch that bounced into the seats allowing Brantley to reach home from third and Aviles to move to third. Michael Bourn hit an RBI groundout to score Aviles to put the Tribe up 3-0.
Mitch Moreland was walked to start the third inning and advanced to third after a throwing error from Kluber on a fielder's choice. Leonys Martin brought Moreland home on a sacrifice fly to left to give Texas their first run of the game.
Cleveland tacked on four more runs in the fourth inning. With the bases loaded, Drew Stubbs singled on a line drive. The ball bounced off the glove of right fielder Nelson Cruz, allowing Raburn and Brantley to score. Bourn singled up the middle to score Stubbs and Aviles and end Perez's night.
The Rangers scored their second run of the game in the fifth when Martin doubled and was brought home by a single up the middle from Kinsler.
Cruz led off the sixth inning with a home run to left for Texas. Jeff Baker then hit into a double play that allowed Adrian Beltre to score from third to keep the Rangers in the game with a score of 7-4.
Cleveland went up by four again when Cabrera singled on a ground ball up the middle in the sixth to score Swisher from second. The throw from Martin to home went off A.J. Pierzynski's glove and past him to allow Cabrera to advance to second and Jason Kipnis to third.
The seventh brought two more runs for the Rangers. Elvis Andrus and Martin both singled to left and then successfully converted a double steal to put runners on second and third. Kinsler hit a sac fly to score Andrus. Engel Beltre singled to score Martin.
Texas tied the game in the eighth on a Kinsler single to right that scored David Murphy and Andrus.
Martin was left stranded in scoring position for the Rangers after he reached third from first on a wild pitch in the top of the 11th.
Andrus has hit safely in all 35 career games against Cleveland, the longest streak of any Texas batter vs. one opponent. He has hit safely in all seven games since the break ... Texas' run in the fifth snapped Kluber's streak of 16 2/3 innings without allowing an earned run ... Cleveland went 5-for-14 with runners in scoring position.
- TEXAS: 8
Jul 26 11:03 PM
- Ryan Raburn none-out, three-run Home Run (11) to left scored Asdrubal Cabrera and Carlos Santana to end the game.
Rangers 8, Indians 11 Bot 11, 0 OutsJul 26 11:00 PM
- Ian Kinsler single to right scored David Murphy and Elvis Andrus with two outs. On the play, Ian Kinsler advances to second on the throw home. Runner on second and Engel Beltre due up.
Rangers 8, Indians 8 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 26 9:58 PM
- Engel Beltre single to left scored Leonys Martin with one out. On the play, Engel Beltre tagged out at second. None on with two outs and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 6, Indians 8 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 26 9:29 PM
- Ian Kinsler sacrifice fly to center scored Elvis Andrus with one out. On the play, Leonys Martin advances to third. Runner on third and Engel Beltre due up.
Rangers 5, Indians 8 Top 7, 1 OutJul 26 9:26 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera single to center scored Nick Swisher with one out. On the play, Asdrubal Cabrera advances to second andJason Kipnis advances to third on Leonys Martin's throwing error. Runners on second and third and Carlos Santana due up.
Rangers 4, Indians 8 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 26 9:15 PM
- Jeff Baker grounds into a double play, short to second to first, to score Adrian Beltre with two outs. A.J. Pierzynski out at second. None on and Mitch Moreland due up.
Rangers 4, Indians 7 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 26 9:04 PM
- Nelson Cruz lead-off Home Run (24) to left. Adrian Beltre due up.
Rangers 3, Indians 7 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 26 8:57 PM
- Ian Kinsler single to center scored Leonys Martin with one out. Runner on first and Engel Beltre due up.
Rangers 2, Indians 7 Top 5, 1 OutJul 26 8:42 PM
- Michael Bourn single to center scored Mike Aviles and Drew Stubbs with none out. Runner on first and Nick Swisher due up.
Rangers 1, Indians 7 Bot 4, 0 OutsJul 26 8:27 PM
- Drew Stubbs single to right scored Ryan Raburn and Michael Brantley with none out. On the play, Drew Stubbs adcances to second and Mike Aviles advances to third on Nelson Cruz's fielding error. Runners on second and third and Michael Bourn due up.
Rangers 1, Indians 5 Bot 4, 0 OutsJul 26 8:26 PM
- Leonys Martin sacrifice fly to left scored Mitch Moreland with one out. On the play, Elvis Andrus advances to third on Carlos Santana's missed catch error. Runner on third and Ian Kinsler due up.
Rangers 1, Indians 3 Top 3, 1 OutJul 26 7:58 PM
- Michael Bourn ground out second to first scored Mike Aviles with two outs. On the play, Drew Stubbs advances to second. Runner on second and Nick Swisher due up.
Rangers 0, Indians 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 26 7:45 PM
- Michael Brantley scored on a Martin Perez wild pitch with one out. Mike Aviles advances to third. Runner on third and Drew Stubbs at the plate.
Rangers 0, Indians 2 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 26 7:43 PM
- Nick Swisher one-out, solo Home Run (11) to left center. Jason Kipnis due up.
Rangers 0, Indians 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 26 7:17 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 26 7:07 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22