Tigers use offensive blitz to maul Phils again, sweep seriesJul 29, 2013 - 12:41 AM Detroit, MI (Sports Network) - Jhonny Peralta crushed a grand slam to cap an eight-run sixth inning that propelled the Detroit Tigers to a 12-4 win and a three-game interleague sweep of the spiraling Philadelphia Phillies at Comerica Park.
The AL Central-leading Tigers plated 12 unanswered runs without slugger Miguel Cabrera, who was ejected along with manager Jim Leyland in the third inning.
Peralta's home run was just one of two hits in an absolute ugly frame for Philadelphia during which the club committed three errors. After opening this nine-game road trip with a win against the New York Mets, the Phillies dropped eight in a row to fall a season-worst seven games under .500 (49-56).
"We got a few gifts today that we took advantage of. We caught a team that is missing some of their key players, they lost some guys in the bullpen and they had young guys that struggled throwing strikes," said Leyland.
Despite having steady traffic on the bases, the Tigers were held scoreless through the first four innings by starter Jonathan Pettibone while the Phillies built a 3-0 lead. Detroit, however, knotted the game against the rookie in the fifth before the Philadelphia bullpen and shoddy defense turned the contest into a rout.
For the second time in three innings, the Tigers loaded the bases with no outs. Matt Tuiasosopo made it four straight singles to start the fifth, plating Ramon Santiago with Detroit's first run. Groundouts by Prince Fielder and Victor Martinez each produced a run before an over-the-shoulder grab by second baseman Kevin Frandsen in center field preserved the tie.
Tuiasosopo pinch-hit for Cabrera after the latter was thrown out while batting with the bases loaded by home plate umpire Chad Fairchild. Cabrera disagreed with two called strikes and appeared to mutter something. After Cabrera was tossed, Leyland came out to defend his player and also got the hook.
Pettibone gave way to the bullpen after five innings. Jake Diekman (0-1) walked Andy Dirks to begin the decisive sixth, then made a wild throw to second after fielding an Alex Avila bunt. Santiago beat the lefty reliever's throw on another bunt to load the bases with nobody out.
After Austin Jackson flied out, Don Kelly sent a Diekman pitch that rookie left fielder Steve Susdorf dropped. Dirks likely would have scored on the play, but the error reloaded the bases and resulted in a pitching change.
Luis Garcia took over and promptly walked Tuiasosopo on four pitches. Fielder then hit a high chopper to first, but a high throw from Darin Ruf pulled catcher Carlos Ruiz off the plate, allowing Santiago to score. Martinez drew another bases-loaded walk in front of Peralta's fourth career grand slam, a no-doubter over the left-field wall.
It marked the first time the Phillies allowed eight unearned runs in a single inning since May 22, 1997 versus the Mets.
"I've seen us take a lot beatings, but I won't say that tops it. But, at the same time, that was a rough inning, real rough," said Phillies manager Charlie Manuel.
Hernan Perez singled home Jackson in the seventh to make it 12-3 and Frandsen brought in a run in the eighth to account for the final score.
Ruiz, Ruf and Laynce Nix each hit an RBI single off Detroit starter Rick Porcello (8-6), who allowed seven hits over six innings.
The Tigers have won seven of their last eight games ... Porcello won his fourth straight start ... Pettibone has allowed three earned runs or less in 15 of his 18 career major league starts, including each of the last seven ... Susdorf notched his first major league hit with a leadoff double in the fifth ... The Tigers were 6-for-20 with runners in scoring position.
- PHILADELPHIA: 4
Jul 28 4:28 PM
- Kevin Frandsen singled to left scored Darin Ruf with two outs. On the play Kevin Fradsen was thrown out at second. None on and John Mayberry due up.
Phillies 4, Tigers 12 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 28 4:00 PM
- Hernan Perez singled to left scored Austin Jackson with one out. On the play, Don Kelly advances to second. Runners on first and second and Prince Fielder due up.
Phillies 3, Tigers 12 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 28 3:49 PM
- Jhonny Peralta one-out, Grand Slam (10) to left scored Hernan Perez, Prince Fielder and Victor Martinez. Andy Dirks due up.
Phillies 3, Tigers 11 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 28 3:24 PM
- Victor Martinez walk scored Don Kelly with one out. Bases loaded and Jhonny Peralta due up.
Phillies 3, Tigers 7 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 28 3:23 PM
- Prince Fielder reached first on Darin Ruf's fielders choice throwing error scored Ramon Santiago with one out. On the play, Hernan Perez advances to second and Don Kelly advances to third. Bases loaded and Victor Martinez due up.
Phillies 3, Tigers 6 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 28 3:18 PM
- Matt Tuiasosopo walk scored Alex Avila with one out. Bases loaded and Prince Fielder due up.
Phillies 3, Tigers 5 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 28 3:13 PM
- Don Kelly reached first on Steve Susdorf's fielding error scored Andy Dirks. On the play, Ramon Santiago advances to second and Alex Avila advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Matt Tuiasosopo due up.
Phillies 3, Tigers 4 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 28 3:09 PM
- Victor Martinez ground out to first scored Don Kelly with two outs. On the play, Matt Tuiasosopo advances to third. Runner on third and Jhonny Peralta due up.
Phillies 3, Tigers 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 28 2:47 PM
- Prince Fielder ground out second to first scored Austin Jackson with one out. On the play, Matt Tuiasosopo advances to second and Don Kelly advances to third. Runners on second and third and Victor Martinez due up.
Phillies 3, Tigers 2 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 28 2:45 PM
- Matt Tuiasosopo single to right scored Ramon Santiago with none out. On the play, Don Kelly advances to second and Austin Jackson advances to third. Bases loaded and Prince Fielder due up.
Phillies 3, Tigers 1 Bot 5, 0 OutsJul 28 2:42 PM
- Darin Ruf single to center scored Steve Susdorf with two outs. On the play, Chase Utley advances to second. Runners on first and second and Kevin Frandsen due up.
Phillies 3, Tigers 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 28 2:35 PM
- Laynce Nix single to right scored Kevin Frandsen with one out. On the play, John Mayberry advances to third. Runners on first and third and Carlos Ruiz due up.
Phillies 2, Tigers 0 Top 4, 1 OutJul 28 2:15 PM
- Carlos Ruiz single to center scored John Mayberry with two outs. Runner on first and Steve Susdorf due up.
Phillies 1, Tigers 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 28 1:34 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 28 1:09 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21
- Rays-Tigers Preview May 21