Davis crushes No. 45, O's take rubber match with RockiesAug 18, 2013 - 11:47 PM Baltimore, MD (Sports Network) - Chris Davis hit his MLB-leading 45th homer of the season, Scott Feldman tossed 6 2/3 solid innings and the Baltimore Orioles beat the Colorado Rockies, 7-2, in the rubber match of a three-game series at Camden Yards.
Davis went 4-for-5 with three runs scored for the Orioles, who have won two in a row since a four-game skid. Adam Jones went 3-for-5 with a two-run homer, Brian Roberts knocked in two runs and Alexi Casilla added an RBI.
"I think there's always a sense of urgency as we get closer to September," Davis said of the importance of winning the series. "Any time you have a chance to get a series at home it's huge."
Feldman (3-3) allowed two runs on five hits while striking out three and walking two.
Charlie Blackmon and Yorvit Torrealba each drove in a run for the Rockies, who saw starter Jhoulys Chacin (11-7) give up three runs on nine hits over 5 1/3 innings.
"He was keeping a lot of people off balance with his curveball," Blackmon said of Feldman. "If he got ahead with his curveball, he would paint the corners and not really give you anything hard to hit."
The Orioles got on the board in the second inning. With runners on the corners and two outs, Casilla hit an RBI single to right.
Baltimore tacked on two more runs in the third. Davis hit a two-out double to right and crossed the plate on Jones' homer to left-center field.
The Rockies finally got to Feldman in the seventh. Todd Helton led off with a double to right and raced home on Blackmon's double to right. Blackmon stole third and scored on Torrealba's groundout. After DJ LeMahieu singled, Tommy Hunter replaced Feldman on the mound, but Dexter Fowler flied out to end the rally.
The Orioles responded with two runs of their own in the bottom half. Davis and Jones singled to start things. Davis moved to third when Nick Markakis flied out and Jones stole second with Roberts at the plate. Roberts' two-run single to center made it a 5-2 contest.
Davis' two-run homer in the eighth accounted for the final margin. With Edgmer Escalona pitching, Manny Machado hit a one-out single to left. Davis followed with a shot to right-center field.
Baltimore had 15 hits, compared to eight for Colorado ... The Rockies went 1- for-9 with runners in scoring position and stranded eight, while the Orioles went 3-for-14 with RISP and left 10 men on ... Jones joined Frank Robinson as the only other outfielder in club history to record at least 25 homers in three seasons.
- COLORADO: 2
Aug 18 4:57 PM
- Chris Davis one-out, two-run Home Run (45) to right center scored Manny Machado. Adam Jones due up.
Rockies 2, Orioles 7 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 18 4:43 PM
- Brian Roberts single to center scored Chris Davis and Adam Jones with one out. Runner on first and Ryan Flaherty due up.
Rockies 2, Orioles 5 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 18 4:11 PM
- Yorvit Torrealba ground out short to first scored Charlie Blackmon with two outs. None on and DJ LeMahieu due up.
Rockies 2, Orioles 3 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 18 3:50 PM
- Charlie Blackmon double to right scored Todd Helton with one out. Runner on second and Yorvit Torrealba due up.
Rockies 1, Orioles 3 Top 7, 1 OutAug 18 3:46 PM
- Adam Jones two-out, two-run Home Run (25) to left center scored Chris Davis. Nick Markakis due up.
Rockies 0, Orioles 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 18 2:31 PM
- Alexi Casilla single to right scored Nick Markakis with two outs. On the play, Ryan Flaherty advances to third. Runners on first and third and Taylor Teagarden due up.
Rockies 0, Orioles 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 18 2:14 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 18 1:38 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21