Tigers score 6 in the 9th, top White Sox in extrasSep 22, 2013 - 4:47 AM Detroit, MI (Sports Network) - After rallying for six runs in the bottom of the ninth to force extra innings, Omar Infante knocked in the game-winning run in the 12th as the Detroit Tigers topped the Chicago White Sox, 7-6.
Facing Jake Petricka (1-1), Infante grounded to second base with one out in the 12th, allowing Don Kelly, who walked to start the inning, to scamper home for the winning run.
Al Alburquerque (4-3) tossed two scoreless innings of relief to earn the win and help shrink Detroit's magic number to clinch the American League Central to two.
"That speaks highly of this ballclub. It's one thing to get close, it's another thing to tie it up and then win it," Tigers outfielder Andy Dirks said.
Trailing 6-0 entering the home half of the ninth, Detroit put six across to tie the score.
"Just when you think you've seen everything," White Sox manager Robin Ventura said.
Nate Jones, who recorded the final out in the eighth in relief of starter Chris Sale, served up a leadoff triple to Torii Hunter, who scored on Miguel Cabrera's single to center. Prince Fielder then singled and Victor Martinez smacked a double to right, scoring Cabrera. After a meeting at the mound, Dirks pinch-hit for Matt Tuiasosopo and lifted his ninth homer of the season over the wall in right for a 6-5 score.
Jones was then pulled for closer Addison Reed, who promptly walked Infante. Ramon Santiago moved Infante to second with a sacrifice bunt. Alex Avila and Austin Jackson then walked to bring Hunter to bat for the second time in the inning, and the veteran delivered with a sac fly to right to tie the score.
Sale went 7 2/3 innings for Chicago, yielding just four hits while striking out seven. His Detroit counterpart, Rick Porcello, allowed two runs in 6 2/3 frames while fanning nine.
Porcello made very few mistakes, but one in the top of the seventh inning broke a scoreless tie when he hung a breaking ball to Jeff Keppinger, who roped it into left-center for an RBI double. Avisail Garcia singled earlier in the frame and scored.
Gordon Beckham stroked a single to right one batter later to plate another run and chase Porcello from the game. Jose Veras took the hill and was aided by Tuiasosopo, who saved another run with a diving catch in left field on Bryan Anderson's blooper down the line.
Veras remained in the game in the eighth and was tagged for an unearned run after consecutive errors by Santiago and Infante put runners on first and third for Paul Konerko, who slapped a single to center.
Chicago went up 6-0 in the ninth on doubles by Anderson and Marcus Semien.
Cabrera had three hits in the triumph ... The White Sox have lost 9 of 11 overall and fell to 6-12 versus the Tigers this season ... Anderson drove in a pair while Keppinger scored twice.
- CHICAGO: 6
Sep 22 12:15 AM
- Omar Infante infield single to second, deflected by pitcher scored Don Kelly with one out to end the game.
White Sox 6, Tigers 7 Bot 12, 1 OutSep 22 12:15 AM
- Torii Hunter sacrifice fly to right scored Omar Infante with two out. On the play, Hernan Perez advances to third. Runners on first and third and Miguel Cabrera due up.
White Sox 6, Tigers 6 Bot 9, 2 OutsSep 21 11:56 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Andy Dirks none-out, three-run Home Run (9) to right scored Prince Fielder and Victor Martinez. Omar Infante due up.
White Sox 6, Tigers 5 Bot 9, 0 OutsSep 21 11:52 PM
- Victor Martinez double to right scored Miguel Cabrera with none out. On the play, Prince Fielder advances to third. Runners on second and third and Matt Tuiasosopo due up.
White Sox 6, Tigers 2 Bot 9, 0 OutsSep 21 11:51 PM
- Miguel Cabrera single to center scored Torii Hunter with none out. Runner on first and Prince Fielder due up.
White Sox 6, Tigers 1 Bot 9, 0 OutsSep 21 11:51 PM
- Marcus Semien ground-rule double to right scored Bryan Anderson with two out. Runner on second and Conor Gillaspie due up.
White Sox 6, Tigers 0 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 21 11:46 PM
- Bryan Anderson double to center scored Jordan Danks and Jeff Keppinger with one out. Runner on second and Leury Garcia due up.
White Sox 5, Tigers 0 Top 9, 1 OutSep 21 11:45 PM
- Paul Konerko single to center scored Marcus Semien with one out. On the play, Conor Gillaspie advances to second. Runners on first and second and Avisail Garcia due up.
White Sox 3, Tigers 0 Top 8, 1 OutSep 21 11:32 PM
- Gordon Beckham single to right scored Jeff Keppinger with two out. Runner on first and Bryan Anderson due up.
White Sox 2, Tigers 0 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 21 11:05 PM
- Jeff Keppinger double to left scored Avisail Garcia with two out. Runner on second and Gordon Beckham due up.
White Sox 1, Tigers 0 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 21 11:02 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 21 7:09 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22