Smoak, Mariners edge out AngelsSep 23, 2013 - 12:09 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Justin Smoak hit a two-run home run as the Seattle Mariners took a 3-2 win over the LA Angels of Anaheim to avoid a sweep on Sunday.
Mike Zunino drove in a run while Kendrys Morales was 2-for-4 with a run scored for the Mariners, who had dropped the first two games of this set and six of seven, overall. Oliver Perez (3-3) struck out the side in the fifth for the win.
Seattle starter Felix Hernandez pitched just four innings, but struck out 10 while giving up a run on one hit and four walks. He set an MLB record for most strikeouts in a start lasting four innings or less.
"With Felix only giving us four innings we had to rely on our bullpen," said Seattle manager Eric Wedge. "It was nice to see Justin get that big hit in a tight ball game."
Kole Calhoun hit a solo home run and Efren Navarro drove in a run for the Angels, who had won six of seven coming in. C.J. Wilson (17-7) gave up all three runs on eight hits in 8 1/3 innings of work.
"We had opportunities, but they got out of some jams and it ended up costing us," said Angels manager Mike Scioscia.
The Mariners got on the board in the second inning as Morales led off with a double and Zunino brought him home with a double of his own for a 1-0 lead.
Los Angeles answered in the home half as Navarro hit into a fielder's choice with the bases loaded to score Howie Kendrick to tie the game.
It stayed tied until the sixth inning when the Mariners took the lead. Franklin Gutierrez led off with a single, but was forced out at second on Kyle Seager's fielder's choice. Two batters later, Smoak drove a pitch over the wall in left for his 18th homer of the season and a 3-1 lead.
Calhoun led off the eighth with his eighth homer of the year to cut the score to 3-2, and the Angels had men on first and second with one out, but J.B. Shuck flied out and Erick Aybar grounded out to end the frame.
Danny Farquhar pitched a 1-2-3 ninth inning for his 15th save of the season.
The game was delayed for 23 minutes in the third inning due to a swarm of bees in the outfield ... Seattle went 35-46 on the road this season ... The Angels host the Athletics for three games starting on Monday ... Seattle plays its final six games at home, starting with a three-game series against Kansas City on Monday ... Wilson had won 13 of his last 14 decisions coming into the game.
- SEATTLE: 3
LOS ANGELES: 2
Sep 22 7:27 PM
- Kole Calhoun lead-off Home Run (8) to center. Hank Conger due up.
Mariners 3, Angels 2 Bot 8, 0 OutsSep 22 6:51 PM
- Justin Smoak two-out, two-run Home Run (18) to left scored Kyle Seager. Mike Zunino due up.
Mariners 3, Angels 1 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 22 6:04 PM
- Efren Navarro grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Howie Kendrick with two outs. Hank Conger out at second and Kole Calhoun advances to third. Runners on first and third and Andrew Romine due up.
Mariners 1, Angels 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 22 4:17 PM
- Mike Zunino doubled to right scored Kendrys Morales with one out. Runner on second and Nick Franklin due up.
Mariners 1, Angels 0 Top 2, 1 OutSep 22 4:02 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 22 3:40 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21