Zito, Giants complete three-game sweep of ColoradoApr 11, 2013 - 12:59 AM
The victory was also the Giants' ninth in a row over the Rockies dating back to last season, the longest current streak by one MLB team over a division opponent, as well as Colorado's ninth straight loss at AT&T Park.
Zito (2-0) continued an impressive unbeaten run of his own by scattering seven hits and a walk and striking out four. The 34-year-old is now 11-0 over his last 16 starts when including last year's postseason, with the Giants prevailing in every one of those outings.
"You can't have more confidence than what Barry has right now," Giants manager Bruce Bochy remarked.
Zito showed his skills at the plate as well, going 2-for-3 with an RBI single and two runs scored as part of a 16-hit onslaught by San Francisco.
Buster Posey finished a home run short of the cycle while driving in three runs in the lopsided win, with Andres Torres also collecting three hits and adding a pair of RBI.
The Giants battered Colorado starter Jeff Francis (1-1) for seven runs on seven hits in just 1 2/3 innings, though three of those runs were unearned due to an error by Rockies third baseman Chris Nelson.
Nelson did account for two of Colorado's seven hits in the setback.
Francis threw six innings of one-run ball to defeat San Diego in a sharp first outing of the season, but wasn't remotely as effective against a San Francisco lineup that swung the bats well all throughout the series.
Angel Pagan greeted the left-hander with a single and Posey delivered a drive deep into the alley in right center two batters later for a triple and a quick San Francisco lead. The reigning league MVP came home on Joaquin Arias' two- out base hit to extend the margin to 2-0.
The damage continued in the second, with the Giants loading the bases with none out on a Brandon Crawford double, a Zito sacrifice bunt in which the Rockies failed to record an out and a walk to Pagan.
After Marco Scutaro lofted a sac fly to bring in Crawford, Posey crushed a Francis changeup for a ground-rule double to center to knock in another run. Nelson's errant throw to home on Hunter Pence's grounder enabled Pagan to cross the plate for a 5-0 game, and Torres capped the big inning later on with a two-run single that sent Francis to an early exit.
"You miss a pitch, and they whack it," Francis said of the Giants. "And then you make a pitch, they whack it, too."
That was more than enough offense for Zito, who yielded just two hits and a walk over the first four innings and encountered only one real jam during his stint. That came in the sixth, with a Michael Cuddyer double and a single by Wilin Rosario putting two on with two out, but Zito fanned Jordan Pacheco to end the threat.
"He's hitting his spots, mixing them up," Bochy said of Zito. "It's a thing of beauty when you have a guy who's not just reaching back and throwing 95 (mph)."
Zito aided his own cause in the fifth, lacing a single to left that plated Torres after the latter stroked a leadoff double off Chris Volstad. The San Francisco hurler moved to third on a two-out single by Scutaro that set the stage for Posey's third RBI of the day, which came on a base hit to left.
The Giants tacked on one final run in the sixth, when Brandon Belt doubled, took third on Torres' third hit of the game and scored on a fielder's choice off the bat of Crawford.
Zito improved to 6-0 with a 2.48 ERA in his last 12 encounters with the Rockies, whom he hasn't lost to since Sept. 25, 2008, and moved to 41-3 as a Giant when receiving four or more runs of support ... Francis has now lost five consecutive starts to San Francisco. He went 0-3 with a 10.03 ERA in three matchups with the Giants last season ... Posey owns seven hits in 10 lifetime at-bats against Francis ... Pence had a seven-game hit streak snapped after finishing 0-for-5.
- COLORADO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 10
Apr 10 6:55 PM
- Brandon Crawford popped into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Brandon Belt. On the play, Andres Torres out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Barry Zito due up.
Rockies 0, Giants 10 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 10 5:59 PM
- Buster Posey single to left scored Barry Zito. On the play, Marco Scutaro advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Hunter Pence due up.
Rockies 0, Giants 9 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 10 5:35 PM
- Barry Zito single to left scored Andres Torres. Runner on first with one out and Angel Pagan due up.
Rockies 0, Giants 8 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 10 5:28 PM
- Andres Torres single to right scored Buster Posey and Hunter Pence. On the play, Joaquin Arias advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Brandon Crawford due up.
Rockies 0, Giants 7 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 10 4:37 PM
- Hunter Pence grounded into a fielder's choice to third. On the play, Angel Pagan scores on Chris Nelson's throwing error, Buster Posey advances to third and Hunter Pence advances to second on the error. Runners on second and third with one out and Joaquin Arias due up.
Rockies 0, Giants 5 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 10 4:33 PM
- Buster Posey ground-rule double to center scored Barry Zito. On the play, Angel Pagan advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Hunter Pence due up.
Rockies 0, Giants 4 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 10 4:30 PM
- Marco Scutaro sacrifice fly to right scored Brandon Crawford. On the play, Barry Zito advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Buster Posey due up.
Rockies 0, Giants 3 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 10 4:28 PM
- Joaquin Arias single to left scored Buster Posey. Runner on first with two outs and Brandon Belt due up.
Rockies 0, Giants 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 10 4:07 PM
- Buster Posey triple to right scored Angel Pagan. Runner on third with one out and Hunter Pence due up.
Rockies 0, Giants 1 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 10 4:03 PM
- COLORADO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 10 3:45 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21