Pollock hits two homers, D'Backs pound PiratesApr 11, 2013 - 6:22 AM
Pollock went 3-for-5, stole a base and scored three times for the Diamondbacks. Miguel Montero, Alfredo Marte, Cliff Pennington and Josh Wilson drove in a run apiece.
Arizona starter Wade Miley (2-0) allowed two runs on five hits and three walks in 6 2/3 innings. He also had an RBI in the victory.
"Defense was great, offense was even better, we put up a lot of runs," said Miley. "Just trying to get us back out there as fast as I could ... just wanted to go back out and get the offense back on the field."
Starling Marte and Josh Harrison each had an RBI for the Pirates, who saw starter Jonathan Sanchez (0-2) struggle. He lasted 3 1/3 innings and gave up nine runs on eight hits and four walks.
"There wasn't one pitch that was as sharp as LA, but we have got to get the ball in," said Pirates manager Clint Hurdle. "All of our pitchers have to get the ball in, that's part of our program.
Arizona pulled away early in the contest. In the bottom of the first, Pollock hit a one-out double and later scored on a throwing error by Sanchez when Martin Prado was up to bat. Prado then walked, advanced to third on a single by Paul Goldschmidt and came home when Montero grounded out to second. Marte followed by knocking a double to deep center, plating Goldschmidt for a 3-0 lead.
The Diamondbacks tacked on three more runs in the second. Wilson drew a leadoff walk and Gerardo Parra had a one-out single, setting up Pollock's three-run shot.
Pittsburgh got on the board in the fourth, when Harrison's two-out single plated Andrew McCutchen. However, Arizona scored four more times in the bottom of the inning.
Pollock knocked a leadoff homer that went 412 feet into left center on a 1-1 pitch to begin the big inning. After Goldschmidt drew a walk, a Montero single and a walk to Marte loaded the bases, Pennington walked himself on four straight pitches to plate Goldschmidt.
Next up was Wilson, and he was walked as well to force in Montero. Miley then hit a ground out to the shortstop, but Marte reached home for a 10-1 lead.
Marte's RBI came in the seventh, a two-out, bases-loaded single that brought Michael McKenry home.
Marte has reached base safely in eight of nine games this season ... Arizona's pitching has recorded 91 strikeouts this season, which is best in the majors ... Miley is 5-0 in seven career April games ... The Diamondbacks snapped a four-game losing streak against the Pirates at home.
- PITTSBURGH: 2
Apr 10 6:32 PM
- Starling Marte infield single to third scored Michael McKenry with two outs. On the play, Neil Walker advances to second and John McDonald advances to third. Bases loaded and Jose Tabata due up.
Pirates 2, Diamondbacks 10 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 10 5:56 PM
- Wade Miley grounded out short to first scored Alfredo Marte with two outs. On the play, Josh Wilson advances to second and Cliff Pennington advances to third. Runners on second and third and Gerardo Parra due up.
Pirates 1, Diamondbacks 10 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 10 5:15 PM
- Josh Wilson walked Miguel Montero scored on the play with one out. Bases loaded and Wade Miley due up.
Pirates 1, Diamondbacks 9 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 10 5:12 PM
- Cliff Pennington walked Paul Goldschmidt scored on the play with one out. Bases loaded and Josh Wilson due up.
Pirates 1, Diamondbacks 8 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 10 5:11 PM
- A.J. Pollock lead off Home Run 2 (2) to left center. Martin Prado due up.
Pirates 1, Diamondbacks 7 Bot 4, 0 OutsApr 10 5:00 PM
- Josh Harrison single to left scored Andrew McCutchen with two outs. On the play, Gaby Sanchez advances to second. Runners on first and second and Clint Barmes due up.
Pirates 1, Diamondbacks 6 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 10 4:56 PM
- A.J. Pollock one-out, three-run Home Run (1) to left scored Josh Wilson and Gerardo Parra. Martin Prado due up.
Pirates 0, Diamondbacks 6 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 10 4:24 PM
- Alfredo Marte double to left center scored Paul Goldschmidt with two outs. Runner on second and Cliff Pennington due up.
Pirates 0, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 10 4:03 PM
- Miguel Montero grounded out second to first scored Martin Prado with two outs. On the play, Paul Goldschmidt advances to second. Runner on second and Alfredo Marte due up.
Pirates 0, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 10 3:59 PM
- A.J. Pollock scored on Jonathan Sanchez's throwing error with one out. None on and Martin Prado at the plate.
Pirates 0, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 10 3:58 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 10 3:40 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21