Cubs top Giants with 9th-inning rallyApr 13, 2013 - 3:20 AM
Pinch-hitter Dioner Navarro greeted Sergio Romo (0-1) with a game-tying solo homer to right to start the bottom of the ninth, and three batters later, David DeJesus singled to keep the game alive. Castro then drilled a ball to center, just beyond the reach of Angel Pagan and off the ivy, to produce the winning run.
"That's the guy we want up in that situation," DeJesus said of Castro.
It rescued Kyuji Fujikawa (1-0), who entered the game with a 2-0 lead but gave up three runs in the top of the ninth.
DeJesus and Castro added solo homers for the Cubs, who lost Thursday's series opener by a 7-6 count.
Brandon Belt slugged a two-run double and Pablo Sandoval added a run-scoring hit for the Giants.
Marco Scutaro doubled with one down in the top of the ninth, advanced on a wild pitch, then scored when Sandoval popped a ball down the right-field line that fell to make it 2-1. Fujikawa then hit Buster Posey on the arm, and Hunter Pence beat out his grounder to short to put runners on first and third with two down.
Belt followed with a two-run double to right to give the visitors a one-run edge that didn't last.
"I like how our guys fought back there in the ninth," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said.
A DeJesus blast to right field put the Cubs on the board in the home third, then Castro cleared the wall in left center for a 2-0 game in the fifth.
Chicago starter Carlos Villanueva departed after a one-out hit by Gregor Blanco in the eighth, but James Russell allowed a single to Brandon Crawford before inducing an inning-ending double-play grounder from Andres Torres.
Villanueva gave up three hits and a walk with three strikeouts in 7 1/3 scoreless innings, while Giants counterpart Matt Cain departed after seven full frames with seven hits and a pair of runs on his ledger ... Chicago first baseman Anthony Rizzo, who drove in two runs on Thursday, saw his streak of four straight multi-RBI efforts in the team's first nine games come to an end. The last Cub to record five multi-RBI efforts in the team's first 10 games was Dave Kingman in 1979 ... The Giants are in the midst of playing five consecutive scheduled day games for the first time since April 17-21, 1996.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 3
Apr 12 5:30 PM
- Starlin Castro double to center scored David DeJesus with two outs to end the game.
Giants 3, Cubs 4 Bot 9, 2 OutsApr 12 5:27 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Dioner Navarro lead-off Home Run (1) to right center. Luis Valbuena due up.
Giants 3, Cubs 3 Bot 9, 0 OutsApr 12 5:14 PM
- Brandon Belt double to right scored Joaquin Arias and Hunter Pence with two outs. Runner on second and Gregor Blanco due up.
Giants 3, Cubs 2 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 12 5:08 PM
- Pablo Sandoval single to right scored Marco Scutaro with one out. Runner on first and Buster Posey due up.
Giants 1, Cubs 2 Top 9, 1 OutApr 12 4:58 PM
- Starlin Castro one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left center. Anthony Rizzo due up.
Giants 0, Cubs 2 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 12 4:33 PM
- David DeJesus lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Starlin Castro due up.
Giants 0, Cubs 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsApr 12 4:33 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 12 2:21 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Cubs RF Jason Heyward out 3-5 games with side bruise May 21
- Giants shut down by Arrieta in 8-1 loss to Cubs May 21
- Arrieta wins 19th straight decision as Cubs beat Giants 8-1 May 21
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 21