Rosario and Cuddyer help Rockies down PadresApr 14, 2013 - 6:39 AM
Rosario went 4-for-5 and drove in three runs. Troy Tulowitzki had a pair of RBI, and Carlos Gonzalez also had three hits with an RBI and scored twice for the Rockies. Josh Rutledge crossed the plate three times for Colorado, which goes for the three-game sweep Sunday.
"Our offense did a real nice job," Rockies manager Walt Weiss said. "When you can outslug some of your mistakes ... we have the personnel to do that at times."
The Rockies, winners in seven of 10 games since an opening-day loss at Milwaukee, got five strong innings from Jhoulys Chacin (2-0). The right-hander gave up four hits and a pair of runs. Chacin walked a pair of hitters and had three strikeouts.
Edinson Volquez (0-3) continued to struggle in the early going. The right- hander's ERA rose to 11.68 after allowing six hits and seven runs -- six earned -- over 3 1/3 innings.
"Over the course of 33 starts, you're going to have some rough ones," Padres skipper Bud Black said. "Volquez has had some right out of the get-go. Let's hope he can get it straightened out."
Everth Cabrera went 4-for-5 with a homer and two RBI, and Will Venable also went deep for the Padres, who have lost four in a row and are off to a 2-9 start.
Tulowitzki doubled to left field to drive in Rutledge in the first inning, but Cabrera scored on Yonder Alonso's sacrifice fly in the bottom half.
Padres third baseman Jesus Guzman committed a pair of errors in the second, and one of them cost the Padres in a big way. Todd Helton reached base on one of the miscues, and Rosario followed with a homer to left-center field for a 3-1 lead.
Colorado added two runs in the third and three more in the fourth for an 8-2 cushion. Helton doubled in a run and then scored on Rosario's base hit to center.
After Cabrera singled in Venable in the bottom of the third, Gonzalez laced an RBI double to left in the fourth, and Cuddyer homered to left field later in the frame.
Tulowitzki lifted a sacrifice fly in the sixth.
Venable and Cabrera homered in the seventh off Edgmer Escalona, and Alonso came home on Alexi Amarista's double in the bottom of the eighth.
Chacin is 4-1 in nine games (6 starts) versus the Padres ... The Rockies swept their three-game set with the Padres last weekend and won six of nine in San Diego last season ... Colorado left 11 men on base ... San Diego went 2-for-11 with runners in scoring position.
- COLORADO: 9
SAN DIEGO: 5
Apr 14 12:05 AM
- Alexi Amarista double to left scored Yonder Alonso with none out. On the play, Jesus Guzman advanced to third. Runners on second and third and Jedd Gyorko due up.
Rockies 9, Padres 5 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 13 11:40 PM
- Everth Cabrera two-out, solo Home Run (1) to center. Chris Denorfia due up.
Rockies 9, Padres 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 13 11:19 PM
- Will Venable one-out, solo Home Run (2) to right. Thad Weber due up.
Rockies 9, Padres 3 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 13 11:17 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki sacrifice fly out to center scored Josh Rutledge with two out. Runner on first and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Rockies 9, Padres 2 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 13 10:51 PM
- Michael Cuddyer two-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Carlos Gonzalez. Todd Helton due up.
Rockies 8, Padres 2 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 13 10:16 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez double to left scored Josh Rutledge with one out. Runner on second and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Rockies 6, Padres 2 Top 4, 1 OutApr 13 10:08 PM
- Everth Cabrera single to left scored Will Venable with one out. Runner on first and Chris Denorfia due up.
Rockies 5, Padres 2 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 13 9:53 PM
- Wilin Rosario single to center scored Todd Helton with two out. On the play, Wilin Rosario advanced to second on the throw home. Runner on second and Reid Brignac due up.
Rockies 5, Padres 1 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 13 9:40 PM
- Todd Helton double to center scored Carlos Gonzalez with two out. Runner on second and Wilin Rosario due up.
Rockies 4, Padres 1 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 13 9:38 PM
- Wilin Rosario none-out, two-run Home Run (4) to left center scored Todd Helton. Reid Brignac due up.
Rockies 3, Padres 1 Top 2, 0 OutsApr 13 9:12 PM
- Yonder Alonso sacrifice fly out to left scored Everth Cabrera with two out. None on and Jesus Guzman due up.
Rockies 1, Padres 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 13 9:03 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki double to left scored Josh Rutledge with two out. Runner on second and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Rockies 1, Padres 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 13 8:54 PM
- COLORADO: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 13 8:46 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22