Giants take another close one from CubsApr 13, 2013 - 10:58 PM
Scutaro went 3-for-4 and also scored a run for the Giants, who bounced back from Friday's 4-3 loss. Pablo Sandoval and Gregor Blanco added an RBI apiece.
San Francisco starter Madison Bumgarner (3-0) gave up two runs on six hits while striking out six over 6 2/3 innings. Santiago Casilla tossed two scoreless innings of relief to pick up his first save of the season.
"The pitching picked us up and won that game for us," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said.
Dioner Navarro hit a two-run homer for the Cubs, who went 0-for-6 with runners in scoring position and stranded seven. Alfonso Soriano went 3-for-4.
Jeff Samardzija (1-2) allowed two runs on seven hits over six innings to take the loss.
"You play a team like that, and you have to get ahead in the count," Samardzija said. "They work the count and they make you throw a lot of pitches. They stay short and have a game plan."
The Cubs failed to take advantage of a great scoring opportunity in the second inning. Soriano led off with a single and moved to second on right fielder Hunter Pence's throwing error. After Scott Hairston was hit by a pitch, the two runners pulled off a double steal. Following a pair of strikeouts, Bumgarner intentionally walked Alberto Gonzalez to load the bases. Samardzija grounded out to end the threat.
San Francisco broke a scoreless tie in the fifth after Andres Torres doubled to left-center field and raced home on Blanco's single to right.
The Giants tacked on another run during their next at-bat. Scutaro led off with a single, moved to second on a wild pitch and scored on Sandoval's base hit up the middle, making it 2-0.
Chicago left men on the corners in the bottom half.
San Francisco scored once more in the seventh to make it a 3-0 game. With Michael Bowden pitching, Brandon Crawford started things with an infield single. Bumgarner then reached first on a sacrifice bunt and the runners moved up a base when Blanco grounded into a fielder's choice. Scutaro followed with an RBI single to right.
Navarro's blast in the bottom half got the Cubs within one. With two outs, Gonzalez singled and scored on pinch-hitter Navarro's homer to left-center field.
Chicago loaded the bases with one out in the eighth. However, Welington Castillo grounded into an inning-ending double play.
The Cubs placed recently anointed closer Kyuji Fujikawa on the 15-day disabled list with a muscular strain of his right forearm. Chicago recalled pitcher Rafael Dolis from Triple-A Iowa to fill the roster spot ... Bumgarner improved to 4-2 in seven career outings against the Cubs.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 3
Apr 13 4:11 PM
- Pinch-hitter Dioner Navarro two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left-center scored Alberto Gonzalez. Dave Sappelt is due up.
Giants 3, Cubs 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 13 3:27 PM
- Marco Scutaro singled to right scoring Madison Bumgarner. On the play, Gregor Blanco advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Pablo Sandoval due up.
Giants 3, Cubs 0 Top 7, 1 OutApr 13 3:16 PM
- Pablo Sandoval singled to center scoring Marco Scutaro. Runner on first with none out and Buster Posey due up.
Giants 2, Cubs 0 Top 6, 0 OutsApr 13 2:41 PM
- Gregor Blanco singled to right scoring Andres Torres. On the play, Blanco was tagged out at second from right to first to short to end the inning.
Giants 1, Cubs 0 Mid 5Apr 13 2:29 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 13 1:07 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Cubs RF Jason Heyward out 3-5 games with side bruise May 21
- Giants shut down by Arrieta in 8-1 loss to Cubs May 21
- Arrieta wins 19th straight decision as Cubs beat Giants 8-1 May 21
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 21