Huge comeback enables Pirates to complete sweep of RedsApr 15, 2013 - 12:17 AM Pittsburgh, PA (Sports Network) - Starling Marte's eighth-inning home run helped cap Pittsburgh's comeback as the Pirates completed their first home three-game sweep of the Cincinnati Reds since 2010 with a 10-7 victory at PNC Park.
"They (Reds) were one of the premium teams in major league baseball last year," said Pirates manager Clint Hurdle. "To finish the series off, very gratifying, good feeling."
Michael McKenry hit his first two home runs of the season for Pittsburgh, which scored six times in the bottom of the eighth to rally from an early 5-0 deficit and improve to .500 for the first time this year.
Neil Walker went 3-for-5, while Andrew McCutchen and Travis Snider each added two hits and an RBI.
Jared Hughes (1-0) picked up the win for the Pirates despite allowing a run and three hits in the top of the decisive eighth inning. Phil Irwin started for Pittsburgh and allowed five runs - four earned - while striking out four in 4 2/3 innings of work in his major league debut.
Jonathan Broxton (0-1) lasted just two-thirds of an inning in relief for the Reds and allowed six earned runs on the way to his first loss of the season.
"Never seen big Broxton that wild," said Reds manager Dusty Baker. "And then every homer was proceeded with a walk."
Brandon Phillips had three RBI for Cincinnati, while Joey Votto hit his first home run since June of 2012 in the loss.
Irwin allowed the first three men he faced to reach base to load the bags for Phillips, who came through with a two-RBI single. The young Pirate starter dug in and avoided a potentially devastating inning, however, by getting Jay Bruce to ground into a double play and Todd Frazier to ground out softly to third.
Cincinnati tacked on two more runs in the second on an RBI double to deep center field from Shin-Soo Choo. Chris Heisey scored easily and after Marte had trouble getting the ball in, Ryan Hanigan crossed home plate as well.
After six scoreless innings against Reds starter Mat Latos, McKendry put Pittsburgh on the board in the seventh with a shot over the wall in left- center field. Then with two outs, Marte singled and Snider knocked him in with a double to right, prompting Baker to remove Latos from the game.
"I just ran into a little bit of trouble," said Latos.
Logan Ondrusek entered and immediately allowed Snider to advance to third on a wild pitch. Snider then came around to score on McCutchen's RBI single, bringing Pittsburgh's deficit to 5-3.
Pinch-hitter Gaby Sanchez followed by roping an RBI single between third base and shortstop to bring in McCutchen, who had stolen second earlier in the at- bat.
The Reds tacked on another run in the top of the eighth before Broxton entered and allowed McKendry to tie the score with his second homer of the afternoon, a two-run blast just over the outstretched glove of Heisey in left field that knotted the score at 6-6 and set up Marte's heroics later in the inning.
Votto led off the ninth with a bomb to deep center field to complete the scoring.
The 10 runs and 15 hits were both season-highs for the Pirates ... Pittsburgh went 3-for-4 with runners in scoring position ... Both teams left eight men on base.
- CINCINNATI: 7
Apr 14 5:20 PM
- Joey Votto lead-off Home Run (1) to center. Brandon Phillips due up.
Reds 7, Pirates 10 Top 9, 0 OutsApr 14 5:16 PM
- Neil Walker single to center scoring Andrew McCutchen with two outs. Runner on first and Pedro Alvarez due up.
Reds 6, Pirates 10 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 14 5:10 PM
- Gaby Sanchez sacrifice fly to center scoring Jonathan Sanchez with two outs. Runner on second and Neil Walker due up.
Reds 6, Pirates 9 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 14 5:06 PM
- Starling Marte two-run Home Run (1) to left scoring Jose Tabata with one out. Jared Hughes due up.
Reds 6, Pirates 8 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 14 4:56 PM
- Michael McKenry two-run Home Run 2 (2) to left scoring Pedro Alvarez with none out. John McDonald due up.
Reds 6, Pirates 6 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 14 4:49 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Jack Hannahan single to left scored Todd Frazier with one out. On the play, Chris Heisey advances to second. Runners on first and second and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Reds 6, Pirates 4 Top 8, 1 OutApr 14 4:38 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Gaby Sanchez single to left scoring Andrew McCutchen with two outs. Runner on first and Neil Walker due up.
Reds 5, Pirates 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 14 4:23 PM
- Andrew McCutchen double to left scoring Travis Snider with two outs. Runner on second and Garrett Jones due up.
Reds 5, Pirates 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 14 4:20 PM
- Travis Snider double to right scoring Starling Marte with two outs. Runner on second and Andrew McCutchen due up.
Reds 5, Pirates 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 14 4:17 PM
- Michael McKenry lead-off Home Run (1) to center. John McDonald due up.
Reds 5, Pirates 1 Bot 7, 0 OutsApr 14 4:03 PM
- Brandon Phillips single to center scoring Joey Votto with one out. On the play, Brandon Phillips advances to second on the throw. Runner on second and Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 5, Pirates 0 Top 5, 1 OutApr 14 3:06 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo double to center scoring Chris Heisey. On the play, Ryan Hanigan scores on Starling Marte's throwing error. Runner on second with one out and Zack Cozart due up.
Reds 4, Pirates 0 Top 2, 1 OutApr 14 2:07 PM
- Brandon Phillips single to left scoring Shin-Soo Choo and Zack Cozart with none out. On the play, Joey Votto advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 2, Pirates 0 Top 1, 0 OutsApr 14 1:46 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 14 1:38 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21