Marlins down NationalsApr 17, 2013 - 4:51 AM Miami, FL (Sports Network) - Adeiny Hechavarria knocked a three-run home run and the Miami Marlins defeated the Washington Nationals, 8-2, on Tuesday.
Justin Ruggiano had three RBI, Greg Dobbs drove in two runs and Juan Pierre scored twice and had two stolen bases for the Marlins, who came into the game having not homered in nine straight games, tying their franchise record set by the 1993 expansion team.
"I was beginning to think that the home run sculpture out there wasn't plugged in," said Marlins manager Mike Redmond. "So I'm glad to see that it's working and it is definitely plugged in."
Marlins starter Alex Sanabia (2-1) allowed two runs on six hits and three walks over six innings in the victory, only their third in 14 games this season.
Tyler Moore and Steve Lombardozzi had one RBI apiece for the Nationals, who saw starter Dan Haren (1-2) struggle, giving up seven runs -- three earned -- in 4 1/3 innings.
"I thought he (Haren) pitched a lot better," said Nationals manager Davey Johnson. "That one errant, and then he kind of let it seem to lose it a little bit. We didn't seem to swing the bats too good and it's just one of those days."
Ruggiano was the first to score for the Marlins. Placido Polanco reached first with one out in the fourth due to a throwing error by Ryan Zimmerman. Dobbs then singled and Polanco advanced to third before scoring on Ruggiano's base hit to left. Hechavarria's three-run blast came two batters later and the Marlins led 4-0.
In the fifth, Dobbs walked with the bases loaded to bring home Sanabia, who singled to start the frame. Haren was then replaced by Craig Stammen, but he allowed a double by Ruggiano, scoring Pierre and Polanco for a 7-0 lead.
Washington got on the board in the sixth. Moore doubled into deep right center, scoring Adam LaRoche, who also hit a double. Next up was Lombardozzi and he doubled as well, bringing Moore home and cutting the deficit to 7-2.
The Marlins tacked on one more run in the seventh. Pierre had a leadoff single and stole second base. After Polanco flied out, Pierre stole third with Dobbs batting. Dobbs then singled to left, easily scoring Pierre.
Mike Dunn pitched a scoreless ninth for the Marlins to end the game.
Polanco scored two runs ... Zimmerman has four errors this season, most in the league among third basemen ... The Marlins were 6-for-9 with runners in scoring position ... Giancarlo Stanton (bruised left shoulder) was out for a fifth straight game.
- WASHINGTON: 2
Apr 16 9:56 PM
- Greg Dobbs single to left scored Juan Pierre. Runner on first with one out and Justin Ruggiano due up.
Nationals 2, Marlins 8 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 16 9:28 PM
- Steve Lombardozzi double to center scored Tyler Moore. Runner on second with two outs and Kurt Suzuki due up.
Nationals 2, Marlins 7 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 16 9:01 PM
- Tyler Moore double to center scored Adam LaRoche. Runner on second with two outs and Steve Lombardozzi due up.
Nationals 1, Marlins 7 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 16 9:01 PM
- Justin Ruggiano double to left scored Juan Pierre and Placido Polanco. On the play, Greg Dobbs advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Rob Brantly due up.
Nationals 0, Marlins 7 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 16 8:50 PM
- Greg Dobbs walked Alex Sanabia scored on the play. Bases loaded with one out and Justin Ruggiano due up.
Nationals 0, Marlins 5 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 16 8:46 PM
- Adeiny Hechavarria two-out, three-run Home Run (1) to left scored Greg Dobbs and Justin Ruggiano. Donovan Solano due up.
Nationals 0, Marlins 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 16 8:23 PM
- Justin Ruggiano single to left scored Placido Polanco. On the play, Greg Dobbs advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Rob Brantly due up.
Nationals 0, Marlins 1 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 16 8:18 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 16 7:11 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Marlins' Yelich scratched from lineup because of back spasms May 21
- Auction site says it's selling Bryce Harper fight jersey May 21