Nationals take rubber match in MiamiApr 18, 2013 - 3:05 AM Miami, FL (Sports Network) - Kurt Suzuki homered, tripled and drove in two runs and a healthy Bryce Harper went 4-for-5 with an RBI and a run scored as the Washington Nationals downed the Miami Marlins, 6-1, in the rubber match of a three-game installment.
Ross Detwiler (1-0) picked up his first win of the season and gave up one run on seven hits and struck out five over seven innings for the Nationals, who have won two of three.
The lefty pitcher yielded just 10 hits and one earned run over 13 innings in his previous two starts but failed to earn a decision in both appearances.
Harper missed Tuesday's 8-2 loss due to flu-like symptoms.
Miami scored its lone run in the fifth with Donovan Solano's RBI single. Starter Ricky Nolasco (0-2), who picked up the loss in a 2-0 defeat versus the Nationals on Opening Day, lasted six innings and gave up four runs on seven hits while striking out six in defeat.
The Marlins have lost nine of their last 11 games.
Washington plated two runs in the second. Roger Bernadina grounded out to short scoring Adam LaRoche, who singled to lead off the frame, to make it 1-0. Suzuki supplied another run with a sacrifice fly to center, plating Ian Desmond from third to make it 2-0.
In the fifth inning, Suzuki worked a 3-2 count from Nolasco to lead off the frame and took the right-handers offering over the left field wall for a solo shot to make it 3-0.
Chris Valaika doubled to deep center in the bottom of the fifth and later in the frame, with two outs, Solano poked a single through the right side. Washington right fielder Jayson Worth made a great throw to the plate, but Valaika slid just outside the tag to make it 3-1.
Harper hit a leadoff double in the sixth. Following Ryan Zimmerman's ground out which moved Harper to third, LaRoche singled to left scoring Harper to make it 4-1.
Ryan Webb replaced Nolasco in the seventh, but the first batter he faced, Suzuki, drilled a triple down the left-field line to lead off the frame. Two batters later, Steve Lombardozzi hit a single up the middle to bring Suzuki home and make it 5-1.
Harper beat out a slow-roller to short in the ninth to score Werth and add some extra insurance.
Detwiler is 3-0 in four starts against the Marlins in his career ... Miami's Giancarlo Stanton missed his sixth consecutive game with a bruised left shoulder ... Washington's Denard Span missed his second straight game due to flu-like symptoms ... Miami went 1-for-7 with runners in scoring position.
- WASHINGTON: 6
Apr 17 10:06 PM
- Bryce Harper single to short scoring Jayson Werth. On the play, Steve Lombardozzi advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Tyler Clippard due up.
Nationals 6, Marlins 1 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 17 9:59 PM
- Steve Lombardozzi single to center scoring Kurt Suzuki with one out. On the play, Jayson Werth advances to second. Runners on first and second and Bryce Harper due up.
Nationals 5, Marlins 1 Top 7, 1 OutApr 17 9:16 PM
- Adam LaRoche single to left scoring Bryce Harper with one out. Runner on first and Ian Desmond due up.
Nationals 4, Marlins 1 Top 6, 1 OutApr 17 8:53 PM
- Donovan Solano single to right scoring Chris Valaika with two outs. Runner on first and Placido Polanco due up.
Nationals 3, Marlins 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 17 8:44 PM
- Kurt Suzuki lead-off Home Run (2) to left. Ross Detwiler due up.
Nationals 3, Marlins 0 Top 5, 0 OutsApr 17 8:30 PM
- Kurt Suzuki sacrifice fly to center scoring Ian Desmond with two outs. None on and Ross Detwiler due up.
Nationals 2, Marlins 0 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 17 7:37 PM
- Roger Bernadina ground out short to first scoring Adam LaRoche with one out. On the play, Ian Desmond advances to third. Runner on third and Kurt Suzuki due up.
Nationals 1, Marlins 0 Top 2, 1 OutApr 17 7:35 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 17 7:12 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Marlins' Yelich scratched from lineup because of back spasms May 21
- Auction site says it's selling Bryce Harper fight jersey May 21