Giants rally past DiamondbacksApr 23, 2013 - 7:00 AM
Posey also had a run-scoring double for the Giants, who have won four straight and improved to 9-1 against the rest of the NL West so far this season.
Sergio Romo (1-1) retired the final batter in the top of the ninth to earn the win behind Ryan Vogelsong, who was on the hook for the loss before Posey took David Hernandez deep in the eighth.
Vogelsong was charged with four runs on seven hits over seven innings and served up a solo homer to his counterpart, Wade Miley.
"There's no quit in this team, I can tell you that," said Vogelsong. "We fight to the last out. It's fun to watch."
Miley was in line for the win after allowing two runs on seven hits in 6 2/3 frames, but the bullpen's failure resulted in the club's sixth loss in nine games.
"They put together a good inning late," Miley said. "It just slipped away from us."
Miley broke a 2-2 tie in the fifth when he crushed a leadoff shot into the right-field bleachers on a 2-0 fastball. Eric Chavez padded Arizona's lead in the sixth with a line drive to left-center that carried into the first row of seats.
Brad Ziegler relieved Miley in the eighth and stranded two runners but was pulled at the start of the ninth in favor of Hernandez, who gave up a one-out single to Pablo Sandoval in front of Posey's tying homer to straightaway center.
In the ninth, Tony Sipp (1-1) gave up a leadoff single to Andres Torres, who took second on a sacrifice bunt and scored the winning run without a throw when Belt found the gap in left field to bring in the deciding run.
Giants pitchers came in with a 21-inning scoreless streak that quickly ended in the first frame when Cody Ross stepped in with the bases loaded and looped a single to right field to bring in Gerardo Parra and Martin Prado, who both reached on singles.
San Francisco just as quickly evened things in the bottom half with three straight doubles from Marco Scutaro, Sandoval and Posey -- the latter two each driving in a run.
Sandoval has 18 RBI this season ... The Giants and Diamondbacks split 18 meetings in each of the past two seasons ... Game time: 2:36.
- ARIZONA: 4
SAN FRANCISCO: 5
Apr 23 12:56 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Brandon Belt singled to left center scored Andres Torres to end the game.
Diamondbacks 4, Giants 5 Bot 9, 1 OutApr 23 12:52 AM
- Buster Posey one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to center scored Pablo Sandoval. Hunter Pence due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Giants 4 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 23 12:31 AM
- Eric Chavez one-out, solo Home Run (2) to left center. Didi Gregorius due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Giants 2 Top 6, 1 OutApr 22 11:48 PM
- Wade Miley lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Gerardo Parra due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Giants 2 Top 5, 0 OutsApr 22 11:24 PM
- Buster Posey doubled to right center scored Pablo Sandoval. Runner on second with one out and Hunter Pence due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Giants 2 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 22 10:38 PM
- Pablo Sandoval doubled to left scored Marco Scutaro. Runner on second with one out and Buster Posey due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Giants 1 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 22 10:37 PM
- Cody Ross singled to right scored Gerardo Parra and Martin Prado. On the play, Paul Goldschmidt advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Eric Chavez due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Giants 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 22 10:27 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 22 10:15 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21