Rockies rally past DiamondbacksApr 27, 2013 - 7:31 AM
Wilin Rosario smacked a solo homer among his two hits for the Rockies, who had dropped four of their last five contests coming in on the heels of an eight- game winning streak.
Juan Nicasio (3-0) surrendered three runs -- one earned -- on four hits and a walk over five frames to pick up the win, while Rafael Betancourt fired a 1-2-3 ninth to notch his eighth save of the season.
Brandon McCarthy (0-3) struck out seven over six innings, but allowed six runs on nine hits for Arizona, which had its three-game winning streak snapped.
The D-backs had a 3-2 advantage after four innings before Tulowitzki's two- bagger in the fifth gave Colorado the lead. The bags were full with one away following Jordan Pacheco's single. Carlos Gonzalez then fanned, but Tulowitzki ripped a double into the gap in left-center to clear the bases and make it 5-3.
"Big-time hit by a big-time player," Rockies manager Walt Weiss said of Tulowitzki's double.
Colorado tacked on a run in the sixth when Rosario began the frame by belting a 2-2 pitch into the seats in left-center and push the edge to 6-3.
Arizona wasted a bases-loaded chance in the seventh, as Matt Belisle retired Martin Prado on a pop-up and then fanned Paul Goldschmidt. It was during the inning when Arizona shortstop Didi Gregorius was hit in the helmet by a Josh Outman pitch and forced to leave the game.
"It shows no neurological problems," Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said of Gregorius' injury. "They are doing a CT scan for precautionary measures. We will see what that shows and there is a possibility of a seven-day DL."
Rex Brothers escaped trouble for Colorado in the eighth. With runners on first and second, Brothers struck out Alfredo Marte to cap the frame. It was Brothers' third punchout of the frame.
Earlier, the Rockies plated a pair in the opening frame before Arizona countered by pushing across two in the second and another in the third.
Michael Cuddyer stroked a two-out, two-run single the other way to right- center in the first.
Eric Chavez belted a one-out solo shot and Marte lined an RBI single to center in the second, while Gerardo Parra doubled to begin the third and later scored on Tulowitzki's throwing error on Goldschmidt's grounder to short and make it 3-2 in favor of Arizona.
The Rockies were 3-for-10 with runners in scoring position, while the Diamondbacks went 1-for-9 with RISP ... Tulowitzki tallied his 21st RBI this season.
- COLORADO: 6
Apr 27 12:50 AM
- Wilin Rosario lead-off Home Run (5) to left. Chris Nelson due up.
Rockies 6, Diamondbacks 3 Top 6, 0 OutsApr 26 11:23 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki double to left center scored Juan Nicasio, Dexter Fowler and Jordan Pacheco with two outs. Runner on second and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Rockies 5, Diamondbacks 3 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 26 11:10 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt grounded into a fielder's choice to short, scoring Gerardo Parra with one out. Runner on first with one out and Miguel Montero due up.
Rockies 2, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 26 10:37 PM
- Alfredo Marte single to center scored A.J. Pollock with two outs. Runner on first and Brandon McCarthy due up.
Rockies 2, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 26 10:22 PM
- Eric Chavez one-out, solo Home Run (3) to left center. A.J. Pollock due up.
Rockies 2, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 26 10:12 PM
- Michael Cuddyer single to right scored Jordan Pacheco and Carlos Gonzalez with two outs. Runner on first and Wilin Rosario due up.
Rockies 2, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 26 9:49 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 26 9:41 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21