Padres light up Jackson, CubsMay 1, 2013 - 5:50 AM
Yonder Alonso had a two-run blast and Jedd Gyorko also drove in two runs for the Padres, who evened the series at 1-1.
"You know, when you get a combination of power and two-out hits, all the way up and down the lineup," said Hundley. "Everybody got involved, so everybody's dropping in runs and it's contagious."
Padres starter Edinson Volquez (2-3) had an RBI while allowing four runs on seven hits and three walks over 5 2/3 innings.
Luis Valbuena and Starlin Castro both hit two-run homers while David DeJesus and Cody Ransom each had solo shots for the Cubs, who saw starter Edwin Jackson (0-4) surrender eight runs on 11 hits in 4 2/3 innings.
"We got guys swinging the bats pretty good," said Cubs manager Dale Sveum. "We just got to get our right-handed hitters going against right-handed pitching."
Gyorko smacked a two-run double that scored Alonso and Mark Kotsay in the second. An inning later, Quentin hit a sacrifice fly that plated Everth Cabrera.
The Padres scored five runs in the fifth. Cabrera hit a triple to lead off the inning. After Chris Denorfia grounded out, Chase Headley and Quentin hit back- to-back doubles to make it a 5-0 game. Alonso then homered deep into left scoring Quentin. Following the home run, Mark Kotsay drew a walk and three batters later, Volquez delivered a single, scoring Kotsay.
In the bottom of the inning, Castillo smacked a leadoff double, setting up Valbuena's two-run blast. Darwin Barney doubled next and Castro homered three batters later, cutting the deficit to 8-4.
Quentin responded with a two-out solo shot in the sixth. The Padres tacked on another run in the seventh when Denorfia delivered a single that plated Hundley.
DeJesus homered to lead off the bottom of the frame for the Cubs.
Quentin opened up the eighth with a double and Gyorko walked with two outs, setting up Hundley's three-run shot that sailed over the center field wall.
Robbie Erlin came to pitch in the ninth for the Padres. He gave up a home run to Ransom and a two-out RBI double by Rizzo, but got Dave Sappelt to fly out to end the game.
The Padres were 8-for-20 with runners in scoring position and left eight runners on base ... Alonso had a stolen base ... Rizzo has 20 RBI, second-most by a Cubs left-handed hitter in April, behind only Billy Williams' 25 in 1970 ... Entering the game, the Cubs had their first 25 games this season decided by four runs or less, a franchise record and the second-longest streak in major league history.
- SAN DIEGO: 13
Apr 30 11:37 PM
- Anthony Rizzo double to right scored Starlin Castro with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Dave Sappelt due up.
Padres 13, Cubs 7 Bot 9, 2 OutsApr 30 11:35 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Cody Ransom one-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. David DeJesus due up.
Padres 13, Cubs 6 Bot 9, 1 OutApr 30 11:30 PM
- Nick Hundley two-out, three-run Home Run (3) to left center scored Carlos Quentin and Jedd Gyorko. Dale Thayer due up.
Padres 13, Cubs 5 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 30 11:05 PM
- David DeJesus lead-off Home Run (4) to right. Starlin Castro due up.
Padres 10, Cubs 5 Bot 7, 0 OutsApr 30 10:50 PM
- Chris Denorfia single to center scored Nick Hundley with two out. On the play, Everth Cabrera advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Chase Headley due up.
Padres 10, Cubs 4 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 30 10:42 PM
- Carlos Quentin two-out, solo Home Run (2) to center. Yonder Alonso due up.
Padres 9, Cubs 4 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 30 10:01 PM
- Starlin Castro two-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Darwin Barney. Anthony Rizzo due up.
Padres 8, Cubs 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 30 9:53 PM
- Luis Valbuena none-out, two-run Home Run (5) to right scored Welington Castillo. Darwin Barney due up.
Padres 8, Cubs 2 Bot 5, 0 OutsApr 30 9:45 PM
- Edinson Volquez single to center scored Mark Kotsay with two out. On the play, Nick Hundley advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Everth Cabrera due up.
Padres 8, Cubs 0 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 30 9:35 PM
- Yonder Alonso one-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Carlos Quentin. Mark Kotsay due up.
Padres 7, Cubs 0 Top 5, 1 OutApr 30 9:29 PM
- Carlos Quentin double to right scored Chase Headley with one out. Runner on second with one out and Yonder Alonso due up.
Padres 5, Cubs 0 Top 5, 1 OutApr 30 9:27 PM
- Chase Headley double to left scored Everth Cabrera with one out. Runner on second with one out and Carlos Quentin due up.
Padres 4, Cubs 0 Top 5, 1 OutApr 30 9:26 PM
- Carlos Quentin sacrifice fly to left scored Everth Cabrera with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Yonder Alonso due up.
Padres 3, Cubs 0 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 30 8:50 PM
- Jedd Gyorko double to center scored Yonder Alonso and Mark Kotsay with one out. Runner on second with one out and Nick Hundley due up.
Padres 2, Cubs 0 Top 2, 1 OutApr 30 8:30 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 30 8:08 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22